Fad and/or Options that quickly Faded

How about the whole NO FEAR, FEAR THIS series. Remember Oakley thermonuclear protection?

Here is one that has not yet been mention that is kind neat on appeared mostly on high end cars in the day.

See how many others you can add to this list.

I am referring to the exhuast exiting in the rear bumper.

Caddy did it I think 1954-56 models....(I know 1956 as my Mom had one)

Early Corvettes had them

I not sure but I believe also the high dollar Lincoln Mark something around 1957?

Course the GSX Buick around 1970 had it as an option?

Sure experts can chirp in with more exact years/cars/facts and perhaps photos. I know one thing having the exhaust exit through the bumper makes it expensive to restore.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis,

The '70 GS and GSX didn't get the N-25 rear bumper with exhaust through it. It wasn't an option until '71 and lasted through '72 on the GS and GSX. I've seen pictures on a '70 with it but it was a custom mod for that particular vehicle. Sorry, I don't have any pics. They make stainless tips now for that in restos instead of original steel which tended to rust out. I also believe that some Mopars received this treatment as well. Very cool looking! :cool:

I knew it was one of the early 1970s vintage Buick GS that had the bumper style exhaust.....another one comes to mind would be the early T-Birds.

Again I am referring to exhaust exiting in the factory chrome rear bumpers.

New Camaro is a similar set up......

think one of the Shelby Mustangs in the late 1960s had them exit in the center of the rear bumper or near it? Experts can nail down model I am referring to.

Speaking of exhaust exits the very first part we produced for the GTOs in 1979 was the factory style 1964-65 exhaust splitters....we are still the source today for them. It was an option on those cars. Was a rolled dual stainless tip that exited between rear wheel well opening and the back bumper.....before we made the even back in 1980 or so originals were fetching $150 to $250 per set!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Interesting about the Tucker......

Car in many ways as it was pointed out was ahead of its time.....that center headlite that moved was neat....I think Lexus offers a similar option on their regular headlites.

Few years back I bought from a guy an actual original sales brochure on the Tucker.....neat piece. Sold it on ebay.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I guess we're a few short of Mustang experts on here...
I think that it was the early Mustang GTs (?) that had the dual exhaust exiting thru the valance (wasn't the bumper). A friend had one, it sure wasn't a Shelby.

I guess we're a few short of Mustang experts on here...
I think that it was the early Mustang GTs (?) that had the dual exhaust exiting thru the valance (wasn't the bumper). A friend had one, it sure wasn't a Shelby.

Yeah that is correct, the 65-66 GTs had the "trumpets" exiting from the rear valance.

Here is a super rare one....I member this car cause back in 1965....I worked at a combination gas station and automatic car wash and the owner had one of these cars brand new.

It was a 1965 Olds Starfire.....this was a high buck car in its day he had the convertible model.....
the exhaust exited out the rear quarter panels near the back in a special chrome molding.

Try this website http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2417157

Or google 1965 Oldsmobile starfires.....

I can't recall another American made car that did that with the exhaust back then exiting in a piece of trim on the rear quarter panel.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thats real cool Dennis and now OLDs is gone.....Who would have thought.

Remember the chrome lights at the top of the fenders that would flash with the blinkers on the old Mopars.

Heater and radio delete.

Manual brakes

Redline tires

Hand ebrake under in the steering column area

Rear Pass elec windows on my 75 Lincoln moved back when operated and not down like most windows.

Vacum operated headlights

"3/4 cam" :biggrin:

Wynns products. Really dont hear much about them anymore. When I lived in Japan they had alot of Wynns stuff on the shelf over there.

I member Wynns products....your rite don;t see it around anymore......red line tires have been reproduced for the original muscle car era GTOs etc....

heater delete....for years cars that went to Hawaii had that feature heater delete....I know GTO owners wil pay big bucks for radio and heater delete plates.

Our turbo buicks had a radio delete plate....was a metal pop in plate said Buick on it.....today they bring big money.

I member buying a few turbo regals with the window sticker, had radio delete code and a power antenna which was kinda of different.

I see you got a G35 coupe. Few years back I had a G35 coupe nice cars weird power seat buttons are inward! Great motors!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thats real cool Dennis and now OLDs is gone.....Who would have thought.

Remember the chrome lights at the top of the fenders that would flash with the blinkers on the old Mopars.

Heater and radio delete.

Manual brakes

Redline tires

Hand ebrake under in the steering column area

Rear Pass elec windows on my 75 Lincoln moved back when operated and not down like most windows.

Vacum operated headlights

"3/4 cam" :biggrin:

Wynns products. Really dont hear much about them anymore. When I lived in Japan they had alot of Wynns stuff on the shelf over there.

Wynn's Products like this?
YouTube - Wynn's 'Start You Bastard' Engine Additive Advert

Wasn't there an option on early Chevelles that had a bottle of bleach in the trunk and a spray nozzle ahead of each rear tire? It was called liquid chains or something...

Wasn't there an option on early Chevelles that had a bottle of bleach in the trunk and a spray nozzle ahead of each rear tire? It was called liquid chains or something...

I think you are correct not sure as to what model. That has to be rare. Speaking of Chevelles think it is the 1966-67 models their optional factory tach was positioned in such a way it also included the one turn signal arrow in it from what I recall.

I am sure someone can verify this with more knowledge. GTOs had the ralley dash so tach was not like an add on set up.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is another one...that saw a very very limited production. I know this for a fact since it involves the GTO.....today this feature has been reproduced and I believe certian newer Corvettes have a similar feature.

For the 1970 GTO....they had a vacuum controlled muffler system that when activated made exhaust straight through (more rumble)...

I forget the technical name for it. Anyhow the state I live in PA would not allow it so program got cancelled early on. Fewer than 120 ever saw production. Until it was reproduced a few years ago this was a highly sought after item. The vacuum control bracket was similar to the knob for the ram air set up in 1970.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

IDK if this is OEM or not but I owned a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville and it had a tissue dispenser under the dash and a fisher luggage kit. The original owner said it came with the car.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Calvin peeing on stuff stickers
My son has one piss on chevies on a trans am.

57 and 59 Pontiacs had the thru the bumper exhaust also.

outside rear view mirrors mounted near the front of the front fenders.

Vista cruiser wagons by Olds, and Buick I think, that had a window on about a 30deg angle in the roof so the rear seat passangers could see up and out.

The early 50's hydromatic transmission did not have park D S L N R and when you parked you put the trans in R. And they had 4 forward speeds.

Space saver spares with a tire filler option that mounted on the engine and filled the tire from compression from one of the cylinders. I have one.

59 Mercury Turnpike Cruisers had dual antennas point forward at the top corners just above the windshield.

Hardtops. No B piller so even the rear seat passengers could see out the side.

Speakers in the grill.

53 mercamatic trans. indicator for forward gears was L & D. leaving it in D started from a stop in 2nd. To use all 3 gears you had to start in low, quick shift from low to drive back to low to get second then into D for third.

Still around are dash mounted prisms for seeing up to traffic lights

Over the windshield steel sunshades

Cable operated vents that let air in thru grills in the front kick panels

57 Pontiac, radio speaker in a box over the trans hump.

59 Pontiac and later years, speaker at the top in the center of the rear seat.

I think lighted hood ornaments was mentioned. 57 Pontiacs had dual front fender ornaments that had illuminated plastic indian heads.

Glass windshield washer fluid bottles

Roy Rogers owned a 64 Bonneville conv with guns for door handles and mounted on the fenders and silver dollars set in the leather interior. He had a bull horn and a cattle stampede recording that he would play when stopped at traffic lights.ROY'S BONNEVILLE | Icons Auction</li> | Memorabilia, United States of America | Christie's

Space saver spares with a tire filler option that mounted on the engine and filled the tire from compression from one of the cylinders. I have one.

Hey, that's pretty cool!

There are so many unique and creative ideas that have come and gone in the auto business over the years, its really interesting to hear about all these. There have definitely been a lot of lousy ideas too. Either way, like 80% of these I had no idea they even existed.

Very educational thread.

Hey, heres something that came and went pretty fast on American cars :biggrin:

obama_bumper_sticker.jpg

My Dad grew up with a guy that had a old cop car that had a weight mounted on a gryo (what he called the pivot mechanism) in the trunk that would turn the weight to the inside of which ever way the car turn to help the car hold turns at higher speeds.

It was a cop car only thing i guess. Ill have to ask and see if he remembers wha approx year/make it was.

Probably 50's or 60's