Fad and/or Options that quickly Faded

How about us gear heads that would flip the top cover on the stock air cleaner so you could get more air to the carb and hear them 4 barrels when you'd floor it!:cool:

My 77 Monte Carlo had that fuel economy gauge that was the size of the big round spedo next to it and it said minimum on one side and maximum on the other and the more you pressed the pedal to the floor the needle would go to the minimum side of the gauge letting you know that "you weren't conserving fuel" by driving like that........hated that thing! With a 305 you needed to floor that thing to get it moving!:mad:

And mine had the swivel bucket seats also!:cool::biggrin:

How about us gear heads that would flip the top cover on the stock air cleaner so you could get more air to the carb and hear them 4 barrels when you'd floor it!:cool:

My 77 Monte Carlo had that fuel economy gauge that was the size of the big round spedo next to it and it said minimum on one side and maximum on the other and the more you pressed the pedal to the floor the needle would go to the minimum side of the gauge letting you know that "you weren't conserving fuel" by driving like that........hated that thing! With a 305 you needed to floor that thing to get it moving!:mad:

The air cleaner trick yes, I am guilty of that...actually that was one of my main mechanical skills back in the day!

Wow lots of great info....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

IDK if this is OEM or not but I owned a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville and it had a tissue dispenser under the dash and a fisher luggage kit. The original owner said it came with the car.

The tissue dispenser I mentioned earlier as GTO owners would seek them out kinda of a stupid option but people would buy it especially if it had the original 20 year old tissues still in it.....

I never heard of the luggage deal....be neat to see a photo....I know some high end cars today offer luggage kits for the trunk....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is another one I member being involved with GTOs...

For the 1974 GTO which basically lacked hp/torque and resembled a Nova.....of all the weird options you can imagine that year they actually offered a tent kit that worked off the open rear hatch. This is extremely rare.....not sure if it was also offered in the 1974 Nova as well...

I have seen a few over the years at the national GTO events......saves on those $00 nite motel bills when you attend national events.......and being a 1974 can't be many in competition for that class making the trip worth while!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have a lighted tissue dispenser with a big mirror that pivots at the top. Moving the bottom up for proper angel. Olds circa late 60's. I also have clip on visor mirror that says OLDSMOBILE from a 55 or 56 98.

I think a current trend that will eventually die is the LEDs in the NOS purge.
It colors your puff of NOS with your choice of color. Kinda weird. I don't want to announce to everyone that I'm running NOS...

Wasn't there an option on early Chevelles that had a bottle of bleach in the trunk and a spray nozzle ahead of each rear tire? It was called liquid chains or something...

Not just Chevelles. The early Camaro had the same option.

My '75 Olds 442 had both those options. One was a factory option and the other was owner installed. ;)

It really didn't help though. The car was a 350 with a quadrajet that couldn't get out of it's own way. But with the air lid mod it sure sounded like it was going somewhere.

I think a current trend that will eventually die is the LEDs in the NOS purge.
It colors your puff of NOS with your choice of color. Kinda weird. I don't want to announce to everyone that I'm running NOS...

Guilty.

Here is another option not sure if factory or aftermarket as I was not around in that era.....but I have seen them at swap meets for sale.

Idea was actually pretty clever....

In the rear view mirror they installed a small clock......today they do the exterior temp and compass.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Clock in the tachometer area in the speedo cluster was big in 60's/ 70's. How about all the stripe/ decal kit packages that everyone had after the success of the Trans-Am! Vacuum gauge showing economy levels were also big after the 1973 oil embargo energy crisis! Hope gas rationing was a fad that won't return! How many are old enough to remember that? :confused:

Here's one. Kinda a long read so I will cut to the chase.
Pontiac had an option for a 4 banger in the early 60's..... It was 1/2 of a 389:eek:

Perhaps the most unusual variation of the durable Pontiac V8 was not a V8 at all, but an inline four. Created for the 1961 Pontiac Tempest, it was essentially the right bank of the 389, sharing most of its tooling and many of its parts (more than 120 were identical). The bore and stroke of 4 1⁄16 in (103.2 mm) and 3 3⁄4 in (95.2 mm) were the same, giving a displacement of 194.4 cu in (3.186 L). This degree of commonality enabled it to be produced on the same lines as the V8, allowing substantial cost savings. A drawback was that the 195 weighed much more than a purpose-designed engine: at about 540 pounds (240 kg), it was not substantially lighter than the 389.

The 195 produced 110 hp (82 kW) (gross) at 3800 rpm and 190 lb·ft (260 N·m) at 2000 rpm with a single-barrel carburetor, or 155 hp (116 kW) @ 4800 and 215 lb·ft (292 N·m) @ 2800 rpm with the optional four-barrel carburetor. For 1962 a "power pack" option increased rated power to 166 hp (124 kW).

The Achilles heel of the 195 was engine shake. An inline four-cylinder engine produces unbalanced "couple," shaking in the vertical plane, and modern engineers consider the installation of twin counter-rotating balance shafts necessary for engines much larger than 122 cui (2.0 L). The V8-based design of the 195 had no such balance shafts, and costs prohibited adding them. The 195 was instead cushioned by flexible rubber engine mounts designed to isolate the engine from the rest of the car, and its forces were further dampened by the Tempest's unusual driveshaft. However, if the engine was out of tune or if a spark plug became fouled, the shaking overwhelmed the dampening of the mounts. A special high-strength timing chain was developed especially for the Tempest 4, since a standard chain would stretch and break rather easily from the inherent vibration in this engine design. The timing chain in the 195 was the same as the 389 initially, the upgraded Tempest chain also works on the V8 engines as a high strength upgrade. As an aside, former Pontiac engineer Malcolm McKellar joked in an interview with Collectible Automobile magazine that he and his fellow engineers sometimes called the four-cylinder Tempest "a traveling fatigue machine."

The 195 was dropped after the 1963 model year.

Here's one. Kinda a long read so I will cut to the chase.
Pontiac had an option for a 4 banger in the early 60's..... It was 1/2 of a 389:eek:

Perhaps the most unusual variation of the durable Pontiac V8 was not a V8 at all, but an inline four. Created for the 1961 Pontiac Tempest, it was essentially the right bank of the 389, sharing most of its tooling and many of its parts (more than 120 were identical). The bore and stroke of 4 1⁄16 in (103.2 mm) and 3 3⁄4 in (95.2 mm) were the same, giving a displacement of 194.4 cu in (3.186 L). This degree of commonality enabled it to be produced on the same lines as the V8, allowing substantial cost savings. A drawback was that the 195 weighed much more than a purpose-designed engine: at about 540 pounds (240 kg), it was not substantially lighter than the 389.

The 195 produced 110 hp (82 kW) (gross) at 3800 rpm and 190 lb·ft (260 N·m) at 2000 rpm with a single-barrel carburetor, or 155 hp (116 kW) @ 4800 and 215 lb·ft (292 N·m) @ 2800 rpm with the optional four-barrel carburetor. For 1962 a "power pack" option increased rated power to 166 hp (124 kW).

The Achilles heel of the 195 was engine shake. An inline four-cylinder engine produces unbalanced "couple," shaking in the vertical plane, and modern engineers consider the installation of twin counter-rotating balance shafts necessary for engines much larger than 122 cui (2.0 L). The V8-based design of the 195 had no such balance shafts, and costs prohibited adding them. The 195 was instead cushioned by flexible rubber engine mounts designed to isolate the engine from the rest of the car, and its forces were further dampened by the Tempest's unusual driveshaft. However, if the engine was out of tune or if a spark plug became fouled, the shaking overwhelmed the dampening of the mounts. A special high-strength timing chain was developed especially for the Tempest 4, since a standard chain would stretch and break rather easily from the inherent vibration in this engine design. The timing chain in the 195 was the same as the 389 initially, the upgraded Tempest chain also works on the V8 engines as a high strength upgrade. As an aside, former Pontiac engineer Malcolm McKellar joked in an interview with Collectible Automobile magazine that he and his fellow engineers sometimes called the four-cylinder Tempest "a traveling fatigue machine."

The 195 was dropped after the 1963 model year.

I remember those cars well...One summer I rented a 1962 tempest to my sister who just wanted a car for the summer.....

Today those cars are popular for dropping 389/400/455 Pontiac V8s in them.

Had the automatic shifter lever I believe on the dash....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Clock in the tachometer area in the speedo cluster was big in 60's/ 70's. How about all the stripe/ decal kit packages that everyone had after the success of the Trans-Am! Vacuum gauge showing economy levels were also big after the 1973 oil embargo energy crisis! Hope gas rationing was a fad that won't return! How many are old enough to remember that? :confused:

You mention another item I was very familar with...the vacuum gauge actually was quite popular as a Grand Prix opion 1962-64 vintage and GTO 1964-67 vintage. I used to sell them used....I referred to them as the 'chrome dome" vacuum guage as it was a diecast chrome dome about the size of your closed fist and mounted on the console. In my day we would sell them for like $50 to $60 each. Sure price is a lot higher today.

The initial gas crisis....member that will. I had an advantage I ran my own towing business working for car dealers....so I would get gas in cans to fill my cars. I believe in our state the worked on odds and evens we have inspections so even number sticker could gas up on even days and odd umber inspections could get gas on odd days....I think that is how it worked.

That was indeed a dark time for car owners.....that is also when I started to buy early muscle cars....owners were dumping them.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is one very very unique "option" or it may be a passing fad. I just read about this in the USA Today......about a week ago. (Sure wish they would print funnies in that paper!).

In this down beaten ecomony one of the few bright spots in car sales has been the Hyundai. You seen their ads....the new coupe is impressive for the money.

Anyhow they are introducing a high end car model called the Equus for 2011. As you know most high end cars have owners manuals that are several inches thick. It won't be the case with this new Equus model. Their plan is to give each new owner a iPad with the manual downloaded on it already. Pretty neat idea......you can bet years from now the next owner will not be getting the iPad in the glove box! Be interesting to see if this is a passing fad or will other high end car manufacturers offer a similar format.

Yes it is spelled Equus.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

GNX owners got a hardbound book......sure come a long way.

Another car that came on the scene a few years later also offered a hardbound book from the manufacturer. What car am I referring to? They also offered two versions. Car is no longer produced. What car model am I thinking of?

denniskirban@yahoo.com

How about options that "should" be dead.

Like 24-50" wheels, and those ridiculous "stick-on" fender vents.

Also, a trend that appears to have gone away, yet I still currently see it, is those stick on fake hood scoops. I have a brother in law with it on his truck, its nothing more than a hillbilly machine.:biggrin: