factory lightweight

a lack of useless heavy options like power seats and windows that do nothing to make the car faster. my car is a "factory lightweight" car, since it seems to only have the minumum options necessary for a turbo car.

Also some cars came with aluminum bumper supports and aluminum brake drums to shed weight.

My 87 GN is stripped as well. Tilt, t tops, and rear defog are my only options. I always found cars that were light weight or stripped down seem to run better and less broke that's for sure. Figure it was the same alternator even if you had power windows or not! I also added aluminum bumper supports to my car to shed a few more pounds :wink:

I think mine would be considered a lightweight. Manual windows, locks, seats, aluminum supports, no cruise. I don't have 3.8 SFI turbo emblems on the hood either, which is a real ET boost.

My car only has 65 options. It has a standard column, no cruise, no power windows or locks, manual seats, aluminum drums and bumper supports, and standard HVAC. The only "extra" option I have is a CF5 astroroof. It was sure easy to push out of the pits when I blew the engine. . .

My car only has 65 options. It has a standard column, no cruise, no power windows or locks, manual seats, aluminum drums and bumper supports, and standard HVAC. The only "extra" option I have is a CF5 astroroof. It was sure easy to push out of the pits when I blew the engine. . .

Funny friend of mine has the same car but without the Astro Roof. He found the factory dealer invoice and the original owner did check off Astro Roof but then decided not to get it so it was crossed off. I'm sure you guys would have had the only 2 stripped Astro roof GN's around that's for sure.

I always thought it was simply a marketing tool. :p

Who wants a stripped GN. :confused:

Racers are the only ones I could think of to market a light car too. ;)

They are "special" to some people. :cool:

I always thought it was simply a marketing tool. :p

Who wants a stripped GN. :confused:

Racers are the only ones I could think of to market a light car too. ;)

They are "special" to some people. :cool:
i prefer stripped cars, if only because that means less stuff to break and have to fix later. also, if you don't have t tops or a power moonroof, that means that the car is less likely to have rusted out floors from leaks. also the car is stiffer, so it has less creaks and rattles and holds together longer.

I actually bought my GN from tiny tiny pics that were not even thumbnails. I got the car for 6K and it had 2 year old paint job on it so I didn't care much what options it had. When I went to pick the car up I got in it and said where the f*uck is the power windows, locks, and cruise control!!!! :eek: Let me tell you... I've driven my GN from Philly to Bowling Green and back and to Ohio 2 times. I'm begging for cruise control at this point!! :D I think that's what made me buy the 86 because it's loaded! :)

I talked to my original owner and asked him why he bought it the way he did. The dealer he went to had 12 GN's on the lot for sale. He said the salesman told him it was the fastest one because it didn't have many options and he wanted to go fast so he bought it. :cool:

How much weight difference is there from a loaded gn and a so called light weiight? couple hundred?

How much weight difference is there from a loaded gn and a so called light weiight? couple hundred?

Since all cars had A/C, 250 lbs would be close to maximum difference, but the '87 GN is burdened with steel bumper supports, which are 40 lbs just by themselves vs. a 86 GN or T.

some day i'll get my car weighed. it has no power anything, no moon roof or t tops, column shift, 60/40 split bench, analog cluster, no cruise, regular stereo (with 6X9's added in the back using adapters), non tilt column.
it does have the aluminum bumper supports.
i've added the front braces from a Monte SS, replaced the clutch fan and shroud with an electric fan, put in a larger Cutlass 3 core rad and top plate, GTA wheels, and Flowmaster crossflow muffler.

kirban 2 cents worth

Good points brought out in above posts. There is always going to be 2 schools of thought those that prefer a well optioned car and probably a smaller segment like myself that like a low optioned examples.

Corvette did it in 1999 when they introduced the fixed roof coupe did it for 2 years then it became the ZO6 in 2001. In 1999 and 2000 those models 0-60 times was 4.7 the coupe and convert 0-60 times was like 4.9 all 6-speeds from what I have read. I have owned one of each 1999 and 2000. My 2000 has a total of just 3 options very unusual in a Corvette.

My experience, is our Buicks really are affected by weight. If you doubt this pick three of your heaviest friends and take them for a ride. Your car will feel like you lost 25-30 hp....kinda like turning the AC on.

T-Types and Turbo-Ts have a great advantage right off the bat....they don't have 28lb wheels turning on each corner of the car. As any racer will tell you the quickest way to make instant power is shed weight. They got a formula for this.

Be surprised just how heavy that astroroof set up is out of the car. Plus less options less things can go wrong. Power windows will never break any speed records. A power antenna has a very high failure rate and translates into at least 1 our or more to replace.

Less options are termed factory light weights I assume. Years ago even a heater was an option......

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Could say I have owned a few of each......

I've always said a good holeshot beats out weight every time. And most of you guys know me as the dude who will argue the merits of less weight equals a faster ET every time. If anybody cares to post that magic formula where 50 pounds equals a second or a tenth than I'm all ears. But we all know a pound is worth a ten thousanth of a second if that.

IMO the real lightweights of the TR world are the 86's reguardless of whether it's a T-Type or GN. Car for car, option for option how much extra does 4 steel wheels and a rear plastic spoiler weigh? Like I said a good holeshot pretty much negates the issue. :cool:

I do not know what the weight is yet, but should qualify for lightweight,

86 Gn, has limited slip, hd battery, front and rear alum bump supports, am fm only, tilt steering, front and rear carpet savers, non lighted vanity mirror, and rear defog, with fixed ant.

does NOT have power ant, remote pass mirror, door guard edge, headlight on chime, cruise, theft deterent, locks or windows, power trunk release, seats, twilight sen, and no wiper delay.

I have the Buick order forms from the orig owner, it was specifically ordered this way I yet to figure what he was thinking? But I think it is kind of odd optioned.

Care to guess the weight?

Thanks
Bill

86 gn lightweight?

Is it normal for an 86 gn to have alluminum bumper supports,but have power seats and windows, as well as t-tops.just weired to me.

I've always said a good holeshot beats out weight every time. And most of you guys know me as the dude who will argue the merits of less weight equals a faster ET every time. If anybody cares to post that magic formula where 50 pounds equals a second or a tenth than I'm all ears. But we all know a pound is worth a ten thousanth of a second if that.

IMO the real lightweights of the TR world are the 86's reguardless of whether it's a T-Type or GN. Car for car, option for option how much extra does 4 steel wheels and a rear plastic spoiler weigh? Like I said a good holeshot pretty much negates the issue. :cool:

kirban 2 cents worth

The rule of thumb is every 100 lbs is worth a certain amount in the 1/4 mile. I can't recall the exact figure as I am not into racing. Also as a side note it has been proven by Rich Lasseter on back to back runs that installing the brace kits and missing body bushings improved launch and end results. This was several years ago when my son did the install of braces & bushings at the Nats on I believe a Turbo-T that Lasseter had there that year.

Your rite about the hole shot, but weight is a factor. All I plan to say on this subject as I am sure not much else can be said. Other factors play a part but like you said a good hole shot is part of the combination coupled with many other factors.

I can't fathom why this would be an argument. If weight was not a factor why do racers lighten up their cars?

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com