factory head bolts

Rich,

That information that you posted, Where did it come from? It looks like it came from a Buick "Know How" publication.......seems very familiar to me!

Back in 1985 through 1989 I worked at BMD in the Technical Publication Department. In fact, I was responsible for all the section 6 (Engine) of the Service Manual and much of the Buick "Know How" program content. I worked directly with the DRE's (Design Release Engineers) to develop the service manual procedures.

Here is what I KNOW to be true about the Buick V6 TTY bolts: They in fact can be reused 1 time and 1 time only. This applies to the necked down version and the full diameter version.

The main reason why the head bolt/gasket DRE insisted that the bolts be replaced: An engine may go through the repair area of plant 36. If the heads were removed, the head bolts were not replaced, they were re-used. Once the engine left the plant, we had no way of knowing if the bolt had one or two cycles on them......so we always replace them! Yes, I know that very low percentage of engines ever went through repair.......but that is what the DRE insisted on!

I have personally done many head gaskets on 86-87 engines. when using the factory composite gaskets and TTY bolts I always follow this policy: If I bought the bolts new, I use them twice then toss them out. If I don't know the history of the bolts, I throw them away. Reusing them more than once is asking for problems.......not a good idea........possible? yes, but not advisable.

David Roland
Former Technical Writer/Service Engineer, Buick Motor Division

Rich,

That information that you posted, Where did it come from? It looks like it came from a Buick "Know How" publication.......seems very familiar to me!

Back in 1985 through 1989 I worked at BMD in the Technical Publication Department. In fact, I was responsible for all the section 6 (Engine) of the Service Manual and much of the Buick "Know How" program content. I worked directly with the DRE's (Design Release Engineers) to develop the service manual procedures.

Here is what I KNOW to be true about the Buick V6 TTY bolts: They in fact can be reused 1 time and 1 time only. This applies to the necked down version and the full diameter version.

The main reason why the head bolt/gasket DRE insisted that the bolts be replaced: An engine may go through the repair area of plant 36. If the heads were removed, the head bolts were not replaced, they were re-used. Once the engine left the plant, we had no way of knowing if the bolt had one or two cycles on them......so we always replace them! Yes, I know that very low percentage of engines ever went through repair.......but that is what the DRE insisted on!

I have personally done many head gaskets on 86-87 engines. when using the factory composite gaskets and TTY bolts I always follow this policy: If I bought the bolts new, I use them twice then toss them out. If I don't know the history of the bolts, I throw them away. Reusing them more than once is asking for problems.......not a good idea........possible? yes, but not advisable.

David Roland
Former Technical Writer/Service Engineer, Buick Motor Division

it did come from a KH publication--------that info actually appears in a couple of them but can't remember the numbers at the moment--------from personal testing i can say that when these are torqued the threshold of unrecoverable stretch comes very quickly when it is approached--------but fortunately it is easy to measure---------i have taken lots of engines apart and at least half of them are unuseable--------of course most times i do not know the history of the engine--------but i do know that a very accurate torque wrench is pretty important cause that 60ft lb number is not a merely a suggestion