F250 Trans Cooler with FMIC

happy4444

Hey Guys,

I figure I would share an external trans cooler install I did on my car since I didn’t find any great options with also running a Precision Front Mount IC. Anyone looking to do this, I eliminated all the guesswork making your life easier.

Long story short I went to go change my radiator and fan (Alradco), and front fillers (Spoolfool), and add my AC back in my car. By time I had everything apart I was another half hour away from ripping out my Rad support. I said screw it and had it powdercoated. I also installed a NAPA A/C condenser, which MAY effect the way your lines are run if you are still running the stock condenser.

Anyway I looked at the B&M, Delrale, and a ton of other trans coolers. I knew I wanted all fittings, no barb and clamps, I didn’t want to make any brackets out of shitty metal strips with a million holes in it, and I definitely wasn’t using their half ass zip tie contraption that goes through the AC condenser.

I stumbled upon this F250 cooler from Dorman that looked like it might work and given the dimensions it was big if not bigger than the largest B&M, and had brackets and fittings.

Dorman Trans Cooler 918-276 can be had for $115 NAPA discounted price if you know someone there
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-74254-918-276.aspx?origin=keyword

I knew I had less than 2 inches between my condenser and Precision Front mount and this fit the bill. I received it, unbolted those long ears on the new trans cooler (you can probably make them work but I didn’t feel it was necessary), drilled holes on the bottom of the rad support and used black oem type fasteners and retainer clips to secure it. NOTE: the bottom tabs had to be bent in then straightened so it would sit closer to the condenser.

You can probably only run this for a trans cooler for those of you that have different radiators but I chose to run this through the radiator then to the F250 cooler. As you know flow needs to go bottom to top to remove air so I left the existing OEM trans line extension that goes to the bottom of the radiator on the font (the long one). This is the feed in. I removed the shorter top return line along with the brass 90* fitting and installed the fittings below to go to the cooler then back to the return line to the transmission.

Summit Aeroquip -6AN Lines and fittings-
AER-FBM5033 –this I ran from the top of radiator trans cooler outlet (eliminating brass 90* fitting) to the right side of the f250 cooler using the next 150* fitting

AER-FBM4452 - this 150* went from the above fitting, hooked over the NAPA AC condenser and ran to the F250 cooler outlet on the right

AER-FBM4422 - this 45* is the return and goes on the existing return line coming from the trans with this adapter AER-FBM2963

AER-FBM2964 -x2 - These adapters are for the F250 cooler to 6AN

AER-FBM4432 -x2 - these 90* bends come out of the trans cooler with the above fittings

AER-FCU0603 -x1 - all my lines were paired with this. SS braided is an option but I thought it was overkill unless its running under the car.

I added little pieces of rubber with the adhesive on the one side to prevent rubbing between my IC and Condenser (seen in pics)

Total price was around $230-250 depending on what fittings you go with. If you go with cheap fittings you can do the entire setup for under $200.

Pics are below. ENJOY!

Attachments

• IMG_4694.JPG
    IMG_4694.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4696.JPG
    IMG_4696.JPG
    385.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 303
Very nice! I wonder though if the cooling effectiveness of the rad is affected when much of it is obstructed by an external cooler? I realize air will somewhat flow through the cooler to the rad but is the rad cooling impacted?

Nice, is their a Btu or Gvw rating on that?

Very nice! I wonder though if the cooling effectiveness of the rad is affected when much of it is obstructed by an external cooler? I realize air will somewhat flow through the cooler to the rad but is the rad cooling impacted?
I see everyone putting the B&Ms in the same area using all types of contraptions to hold it in place, but nothing as clean as this. I upgraded my rad and fan so I wasn't too concerned. there wasn't anywhere else to mount something as big without tucking it somewhere adding fans, etc.

Nice, is their a Btu or Gvw rating on that?
yes, I basically came across this trucool max site and compared it to the sizing and its basically the same thing.... check out item LPD47391
http://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-max

Why put something hot in front of the intercooler?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Oh, sorry

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

i like the size
but thats not really a 'better' spot ...
besides the limited airflow from the pte core
under boost the FMIC can shed enough heat to make that trans cooler a heater.. at the time when the trans is under the most load and when you need the trans temps to be their coolest
being on the condensor when using ac even though your normally not in boost , air flow is already cut back from the FMIC ..its going to have a negative effect on the A/C ability to cool because its basically a heater and a n air flow impedence as far the condenser is concerned

Last edited:
I understand what you mean but I don't go to the track, and it is the most ideal spot other than having a remote setup with a fan somewhere away from the radiator, condenser and IC. Then the other issue becomes protection.