Extremely easy T-Top question

Are T-Tops on GNs supposed to have a thin black plastic trim around three edges or are the edges just glass ? See - that was an easy question ... :)

I thought I've seen Cutlasses and Monte Carlos with edging around the T-Tops and someone recently mention GNs are supposed to have a black trim but mine don't .........

See item #9 and the notes on item #8 here: http://perfauto.tripod.com/data/12-240.pdf

I had a late build '86 MCSS. As I recall the dealer telling me, there was some kind of delay in getting the glass tops. The tops had the plastic on the edges, also had no locks. Current late build GN has no plastic on the edges. Friends '87 MCSS has none either. I thought Eric talked about this in a thread a while back. Couldn't find it...

David

I think at this point we've determined they came both ways from the factory as mine is a hatch roof car as verified by the trunk sticker, invoice and body tag. Others also have chimed in they bought their GNs new WITH plastic trim on three seides. The mystery deepens.

looks like this might have been a good thread for a poll. :p

FWIW, the factory t-tops on my '87 GN do *not* have trim, just a rounded edge on three sides.

I have never seen *factory GM* G-body t-tops with trim. Not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen them. one of my buddies used to own an '81 Cutlass with factory t-tops - no trim on them either.

If the car you're looking at has trim of some kind all the way around the t-top, then I would guess they are aftermarket t-tops, not factory. Back in the day, dealerships would sometimes install sunroofs or t-tops on a hardtop car. These dealer-installed t-tops were not factory GM and usually were a little different in some way.

One thing to check, look for the RPO code for "hatch roof" (GM's term for t-tops) I don't remember what the code is though. If the car your looking at has the "hatch roof" RPO code then at least the t-top roof is factory original. If not then you're definately looking at a non-factory modification. :cool:

>>> just did a quick search of the site and it looks like the RPO code for a "hatch roof" was "CC1".

I have both! :D

My original locking passenger side doesn't have trim, and the replacement drivers side does have the edge trim (locking, blue interior moulding).

John

I think at this point we've determined they came both ways from the factory as mine is a hatch roof car as verified by the trunk sticker, invoice and body tag. Others also have chimed in they bought their GNs new WITH plastic trim on three seides. The mystery deepens.