Extremely easy T-Top question

sshoureas

Are T-Tops on GNs supposed to have a thin black plastic trim around three edges or are the edges just glass ? See - that was an easy question ... :)

I thought I've seen Cutlasses and Monte Carlos with edging around the T-Tops and someone recently mention GNs are supposed to have a black trim but mine don't .........

T-Top

Are T-Tops on GNs supposed to have a thin black plastic trim around three edges or are the edges just glass ? See - that was an easy question ... :)

I thought I've seen Cutlasses and Monte Carlos with edging around the T-Tops and someone recently mention GNs are supposed to have a black trim but mine don't .........

I have a 87 and it do not have the trim. My friends 84 do, This is my 2nd T-Top car and both was all glass. I hope this helps.

my 87 does and so does my friends. I ve heard they re interchangeable with other g bodies and maybe even the 87 camaro.

hmmmmmmmm, I thought this was going to be easy. Some do, some don't. Strange. Anyone know why ?

t-top trim

Mine has them on also.
It looks like they can slide off easily.
Yours may have came off at some point and thrown away ?
Steve

Ok, so maye this isn't any easy question. :-( Does this trim serve an purpose such as making the tops seal better or was this purely decoration only ? Does any make this as a reproduction kit ? LAstly - if many cars dont have this trim is it because it fell off or it was removed at some time or did some cars not come with it for some reason ?

Call me crazy, but I thought the ones with trim where plastic and the ones w/o trim where glass??????? Both my 88 Monte SS and 86 T-type had no trim, and where heavy glass tops.

8UWITH6...You're Frickin' Crazy...`84 with factory trim, glass tops. :)

G-body with factory Plastic tops? No way Jose`.

looks like this might have been a good thread for a poll. :p

FWIW, the factory t-tops on my '87 GN do *not* have trim, just a rounded edge on three sides.

I have never seen *factory GM* G-body t-tops with trim. Not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen them. one of my buddies used to own an '81 Cutlass with factory t-tops - no trim on them either.

If the car you're looking at has trim of some kind all the way around the t-top, then I would guess they are aftermarket t-tops, not factory. Back in the day, dealerships would sometimes install sunroofs or t-tops on a hardtop car. These dealer-installed t-tops were not factory GM and usually were a little different in some way.

One thing to check, look for the RPO code for "hatch roof" (GM's term for t-tops) I don't remember what the code is though. If the car your looking at has the "hatch roof" RPO code then at least the t-top roof is factory original. If not then you're definately looking at a non-factory modification. :cool:

>>> just did a quick search of the site and it looks like the RPO code for a "hatch roof" was "CC1".