Extreme Automatic Torque Converter?

toolguy874.1

Lonnie will be calling me in morning to confirm a new stage 3 with an electric trans brake.
I had all intention to buy a Ptc with Dusty Bradford
Extreme Automatics says they are now building converters now also.

I know they are very good with the 200's
Any one have experience with his converter?
At this level a couple hundred dollars isn't going to make a difference.
As of now I don't know his prices versus Dusty's.
Heard lots of good reports on Dusty for years.
Any info would help!
Thanks

I have spoke with Dusty 3 or 4 times.
He has great knowledge about turbos and engine specs.
I have a 4.1 build that is 256 cubic inch.
I built it with all forged parts. But built it 20 years ago at age of 17. It has 7.5 compression. So this isn't the standard cookie cutter build ,that most have today.
So understanding of converter operation is important to me!

I'm running one of lonnies nlu's. Works fine for me.

Lonnie will build you what you need and it will be better than other converters you hear so much about.

I'm not asking for a pissin match and drama.
Im asking for real life experience with Loonies converter.
I ordered stage 3 with brake and his converter. But still interested in other experience.
You can go on Facebook if you want to start drama about something that you have no experience with.

Are we talking about a 2004r? if so...subscribed..

I'm sure Lonnie is using the same guy robzombie has been using. He has a non lock that works well and has been tested head to head against my PTC by Bison in the same car. Bison is still buying my 9.5's and up to this point is the only one with real data from both converter's.

He has a non lock that works well and has been tested head to head against my PTC by Bison in the same car. Bison is still buying my 9.5's and up to this point is the only one with real data from both converter's.

I am sure you are mistaken. Wasn't it the 245mm RevX that Brian tested and has data on? How is this fair to Lonnie that you are posting bad information to kill a sale for him about a converter you know nothing about?

Lonnie will be calling me in morning to confirm a new stage 3 with an electric trans brake.
I had all intention to buy a Ptc with Dusty Bradford
Extreme Automatics says they are now building converters now also.

I know they are very good with the 200's
Any one have experience with his converter?
At this level a couple hundred dollars isn't going to make a difference.
As of now I don't know his prices versus Dusty's.
Heard lots of good reports on Dusty for years.
Any info would help!
Thanks

OP, I would deal with Lonnie with whatever he recommends. Ask him about the billet 9" diode converter. It is the best converter we have come up with to date. I sell a lot of them. Lonnie has plenty of data as he has done all the testing for this converter. Until this converter was perfected, he used a 17 blade PTC and would never go back, but as most will soon find out this will be the norm.

Supposedly these are all coming from the same source. Who really knows when you read one day everyone is building their own, then the next day Greg is building them for you, FTSS and Lonnie.

I call BS saying "better' , can say "as good as" or works great..but ,better?

In the car that they were tested in it was better. There are many ways to make a converter work and that one just flat out works better.

Back to back tests and there was no doubt that the PTC wasn't the best converter in this case. These converters have been tested in many cars and different combos with similar results of being equal to or better than the PTC.

Once enough people have the balls to come forward and admit it or are smart enough to try one and see for themselves, then as Dave has said it will become the norm to run them until something comes along and performs better. Until that day comes people should be happy that they can get a converter that's as good or better than the PTC and at a better price.

I'm not knocking Dusty or the PTC as he and PTC did the research and testing to bring a better performing converter to the TR crowd when very few options were out there, but like with anything else in the performance industry someone is going to find a way to change or improve upon something if the demand for such product is out there.

One of the biggest problems of speaking out on any forum and telling the truth is that you will offend some people affecting their ego or their wallet and become part of the black sheep crowd because they want to protect either or both of them. It's even harder if you are a competing vendor and one vendor thinks you are stealing sales from him. This is not exclusive to this forum and the ones that get hurt the most are the ones looking for the truth.

Being that I'm not nor have I ever been a politically correct person or a sheep that just follows the herd I'm not afraid of hurting someones feeling by telling the truth. Doing that would only stifle the progression of innovation [Think government or monopolies] and you get the picture. I don't sell them or get a dime on any sales of them either so there is no reason for me to be protective of that converter and when I find another one that works better I'll share that with everyone and probably be beat up by the people that sell this converter.

I speak out because it's the right thing to do and help the TR crowd. What would the majority of people be running right now if the PTC didn't come along and garner the attention it has gotten for the past couple years.

The winners of all this controversy is the TR crowd as they now have more choices than ever before and the competition between the converter companies will only make it better as they will only keep trying to make better products to keep us spending our money with them whether through innovation, better prices or both and we the consumer are the winners both on and off the track.

RZ.

^ when improved technology comes it surely should be made known..and if that is the case i stand corrected. As stated ,innovation should be welcomed. Thanks for bringing it. Testing, and all its variables,i imagine are very complex.

Supposedly these are all coming from the same source. Who really knows when you read one day everyone is building their own, then the next day Greg is building them for you, FTSS and Lonnie.

Does it matter where they come from??

If they work and people are happy with them then so be it.

Does it matter where they come from??

If they work and people are happy with them then so be it.
No it doesn't matter. However when one is compared head to head with a PTC with real numbers to back it don't change the story and say they aren't the same. FTSS calls the mechanical diode converter that Dave mentioned "nuclear nine".

No it doesn't matter. However when one is compared head to head with a PTC with real numbers to back it don't change the story and say they aren't the same. FTSS calls the mechanical diode converter that Dave mentioned "nuclear nine".

I don't know what story you're talking about.

The nuclear nine is not the same as a PTC and neither are any of the other converters.

I don't know what story you're talking about.

The nuclear nine is not the same as a PTC and neither are any of the other converters.

You have claimed FTSS jumped in and began selling the same converters Dave and Lonnie are selling. FTSS offers the 9.5 lock up, 9.5 non lock and the nuclear 9" with or without a mechanical diode.

Is it safe to say their 9" and the 9" Dave and Lonnie are selling are the same? When I publish test data I want to cover all bases.

You have claimed FTSS jumped in and began selling the same converters Dave and Lonnie are selling. FTSS offers the 9.5 lock up, 9.5 non lock and the nuclear 9" with or without a mechanical diode.

Is it safe to say their 9" and the 9" Dave and Lonnie are selling are the same? When I publish test data I want to cover all bases.

I can confirm that 100% they are from the same supplier even though some won't come clean.

You should call Mike personally and see who his supplier is if you haven't done so already. If Mike would chime in and tell me/us who he buys them from.

If you want my honest opinion, I would bet they are and if Mike knows what's inside of the nuclear nine ask him how many elements it has 5,8 or 12 and also if he knows of any other unique characteristics of the converters he sells and it will prove to everybody where they come from.

If he doesn't know what makes them unique then he may as well be considered just a retailer of an unknown product.

Last edited:

I'm not knocking Dusty

One of the biggest problems of speaking out on any forum and telling the truth is that you will offend some people affecting their ego or their wallet and become part of the black sheep crowd because they want to protect either or both of them. It's even harder if you are a competing vendor and one vendor thinks you are stealing sales from him.

RZ.

Actually you are taking shots. Anytime my name is brought up vs your converter guy you begin taking shots. In this case and previous threads you have insinuated I'm mad because it's hurting my pocket. I take this personal because I have held current pricing for years through negotiations with suppliers, even taking a hit myself. It's never been about money with me, it's been about helping the Buick community run faster. I'm being the nice guy here and not posting details out of respect for others involved. I'm sure you do not speak for them or I would have turned the lights on already.

I wouldn't be able to confirm that 100% as I'm going by what I've been told by others.

You should call Mike personally and see who his supplier is if you haven't done so already. If Mike would chime in and tell me/us who he buys them from I would confirm it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

If you want my honest opinion, I would bet they are and if Mike knows what's inside of the nuclear nine ask him how many elements it has 5,8 or 12 and also if he knows of any other unique characteristics of the converters he sells and it will prove to everybody where they come from.

If he doesn't know what makes them unique then he may as well be considered just a retailer of an unknown product.

Maybe I missed something ,but now I am wondering who built this super top secret converter you are running?
The actual builder, not retailer.
And what are specs of your converter?