External W/G w/BoostC....Who uses it?

Slo86GN

The Nightstalker
Just wondering if anybody is using an external w/g in conjunction with a BoostC boost controller. I'm looking at an external w/g, so I want to make sure the BoostC will work with it. Guess I'm just spoiled with the easy boost adjustment with the BoostC...:D..

Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but take a look at the phot link in my signature, and then click on the Grand National album.
In there near the bottom I think, you'll find a drawing of how the stock boost solenoid could be hooked in with an external gate. BstC could then control the solenoid for boost control. and of course you could always use two solenoids for more boost range.

Hmmmm, nobody else is using this setup I suppose...lol. C'mon folks I know somebody else has the BoostC controlling an external w/g. It just makes too much sense not to have it that way....:D

there is really no reason to use the stock solenoid with an external gate because they all have boost adjustments built in or a bleeder valve...think your Boostc requires the solenoid?

Hmmm, thought the BoostC was used to control the factory w/g solenoid instead of the ECM. Turn the BoostC off and you fall back on the default boost setting programmed into the chip. I was just wondering if you could run the BoostC in conjuntion with an external gate. Makes it easier to turn up the boost if somebody decides to have a go at ya on the street....:D :D I'm tired of messing around with the stock style w/g on my 87, plus it helps with spoolup and boost control to have an external..right?

I'm kinda slow this afternoon,but do want to know about an adjustable wastegate and the boost controller? Jace

bottom line, external gates are expensive and troublesome and you have nothing to gain by switching.....doubtful the BoostC would even work as it uses the stock solenoid and external gates do not

Originally posted by azgn
bottom line, external gates are expensive and troublesome and you have nothing to gain by switching.....doubtful the BoostC would even work as it uses the stock solenoid and external gates do not

Take a look at the picture I refer to, and it will show you how the stock solenoid can be used with an external gate. The Bleeder valve in the picture is there to set the "base" boost and the BstC can then be used for more precise control of boost levels from in the cabin.