Exhaust question

Thanks for the info. Guess its hard to get NO drone. I inquired on the Pypes system and the SS they used. I was told its like what is found on a new OEM vehicle and it will get surface rust but not rust through. Both Hooker and Pypes are made overseas. I also see that Magniflow (USA made) makes a real SS system but its $800 and I can't find reviews or video.

I have a 2.5" ATR exhaust with dual Dynomax Ultra Flo's welded. No drone. If you get the 3" then drone will be more likely.

The Pypes system is 409 stainless which is the lesser grade of stainless. They do have mufflers that are 304 though. Magnaflow for some reason is not very popular on this board. There are YouTube videos of the Magnaflow system. Gn1 (TR Custom) is polished 304 and looks gorgeous.

The Pypes system is 409 stainless which is the lesser grade of stainless. They do have mufflers that are 304 though. Magnaflow for some reason is not very popular on this board. There are YouTube videos of the Magnaflow system. Gn1 (TR Custom) is polished 304 and looks gorgeous.
Found them, thanks
Actually sound pretty good but expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

I love my single 4" from GN1

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
Pypes SGG50R is half the cost of the Magniflow 16884 but the Magnaflow seems to be made out of better SS.

I was under my car yesterday again trying to figure out what brand of mufflers I have on my current 2.5" system that goes straight out the back. What I did notice was that the test pipe installed in place of the "cat" is leaking where it goes over the down tube and at the flange gasket where it meets with the exhaust. I sprayed the bolts with "nut cracker" and will see if things can be tightened up and how that may or may not effect the overall sound. When running other than feeling air I did not really hear anything. If I do the swap I might just buy a new test pipe as well.

At the top of the listing they say 3", at the end of the listing it says tip diameter is 2.5" and main pipe diameter is 3".
More than likely they mean inlet size is 3" (at the flange) and 2.5" duals.
Marketing/ advertising/ engineering/ graphic design misinterpretation or miscommunication???
I see that. I just checked Summit, Jegs and Ebay all reference 2.5". I also see that the Magnaflow system is running around $700 with best offer. At $600 I might give it a try since I know its a quality system and Pypes with Race Pro mufflers compares their sound to the Magnaflow.

Last edited:
I can't comment as to sound on the Turbo Regals because I have an old Conelys Performance Plus Mag Tune system with a 3" single in / 3" dual out "V" shaped muffler in place of the cat from the early '90's on mine, but I have not been impressed with Magnaflow mufflers on my other car. It seemed like Magnaflow engineers their mufflers to have a slight resonance / drone inside (2 on a scale 1 - 10) to make the driver think the car is more powerful than it really is, must be for those corvette and mustang owners because our Turbo Regals ARE as powerful as we think. Lol
I would like comments from those with the Magnaflow system with there thoughts.
FWIW, at even close to the $600 range I would go for the polished 304 SS dual 3" offered by trcustoms, full throttle, GN1 and others as the 4 bolt flange will bolt up to the stock cat, 2.5", 3" or 3.5" test pipes.

I can't comment on MagnaFlows on a Turbo Buick, but I have one of their 2.5" dual inlet/dual outlet with internal X-pipe mufflers on my big block powered Jeep. There isn't a whole lot of room underneath a Jeep CJ to run a full size 2.5" dual exhaust system while keeping it high & tight. I am very pleased with the muffler that I'm running. It's throaty sounding, but it is actually a bit more quiet inside the Jeep than the OEM exhaust on the original I-6 was.

I was under my car yesterday again trying to figure out what brand of mufflers I have on my current 2.5" system that goes straight out the back. What I did notice was that the test pipe installed in place of the "cat" is leaking where it goes over the down tube and at the flange gasket where it meets with the exhaust. I sprayed the bolts with "nut cracker" and will see if things can be tightened up and how that may or may not effect the overall sound. When running other than feeling air I did not really hear anything. If I do the swap I might just buy a new test pipe as well.
Sunday update. Well I now know that I need the test pipe and the whole exhaust replaced. Test pipe has its flange bent and exhaust is leaking out the gasket. Checked the muffler connections found them leaking as well and when I tightened them up I noticed numerous pin holes in the exhaust pipe. Nothing worth saving. As I would like the whole new system to be SS does anyone know if someone makes the test pipe in SS?

It is best to get a test pipe of the same brand/ manufacture as the downpipe as the downpipes differ in length.
If you know the brand of downpipe, that would be the best place to start.
2nd best is to measure the length of the test pipe and of course the diameter and start calling vendors as they all sell them.
If you have a 2.5" test pipe Kirbans performance may be your best shot.
image.png

Just ordered the Pypes SGG50R system and Pypes test pipe. Hopefully things will sound much better in the future.

OK
Got the system today and laid it out as recommended. First thing I noticed is that the driver side exhaust pipe exiting the rear is two piece and the passenger side is one piece. Standing back from the two the arch going over the rear diff is not exactly the same for both but it looks like it would work. I am curious if this is common as I expected all the pipes to be ONE piece. It also appears that the system has been assembled previously. Was this to check the fit or should I be concerned? Overall the system looks like it will work but I am curious if others have had the same experience with their PYPES system and if this is to be expected.

I also learned from Magnaflow that their system is in fact 3" if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Well I put in the Pypes 2.5" system with the Race Pro mufflers and still have the drone noise. At least I learned my old system was falling apart.

Attachments

• T Type exhaust photos 001.JPG
    T Type exhaust photos 001.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 133
  • T Type exhaust photos 002.JPG
    T Type exhaust photos 002.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 129
  • T Type exhaust photos 004.JPG
    T Type exhaust photos 004.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 173