Exhaust question

eagleguy

My car has had the cat converter removed and it appears a test pipe has been used in its place to hook up a dual exhaust, straight pipes out the rear. As I do not like the sound of the current exhaust I was thinking of buying a new system with mufflers with the pipes exiting behind the rear wheels. Using a new test pipe would I be looking for a Cat back system? Any recommendations?? I currently have the crappy drone noise at mid range. I checked the current mufflers but they have no name, part number although they are offset.

I bought a Pypes 2.5" dual exhaust system & selected their "Race-Pro" mufflers. Supposedly the Race-Pro mufflers have the least amount of drone, plus they are a straight through type of design. Unfortunately I have not been able to install the system yet.

Here is some more information: http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/louder-exhaust.440192/#post-3663294

A cat-back system should mount from the cat hanger to the rear of the car.

If you like a louder exhaust try to locate dual ATR 2.5 set up which is stainless. If you like it quieter go buy a new hooker set up. The hooker will come with a test pipe as well. I have had both. I like the stainless because it will never fail but the hooker has ZERO drone.

Once again, read the rules for the how to section before you post! If you can't figure it out, the how to section is for those that want to show others how to do something, not for those that don't know what they're doing! I'm tired of moving your threads so until you want to post how you did something, read all you want, but stop posting questions in the "HOW i DID IT" section!

Once again, read the rules for the how to section before you post! If you can't figure it out, the how to section is for those that want to show others how to do something, not for those that don't know what they're doing! I'm tired of moving your threads so until you want to post how you did something, read all you want, but stop posting questions in the "HOW i DID IT" section!

BECAUSE OF CURRENT FORUM RULES I WAS UNABLE TO DELETE AND REPOST AFTER I REALIZED MY ERROR! SORRY!!

I have had both the Hooker and Pypes cat back. The Pypes is louder than the hooker.

I have had both the Hooker and Pypes cat back. The Pypes is louder than the hooker.
Loud as in good or bad? What size exhaust system? Pypes seems to be the best deal on a 2.5" Race Pro muffler system but it only seems to come in non polished SS, no big deal. I just want the right sound, not too quiet like a small V8 but not over loud like a big block. Am I asking too much?

Last edited:
This is Dan up in Ocala,
Both were 2 1/2" I can live with the Pypes sound but Iiked the Hooker better... Neither had a Drone at highway speeds

BTW, you can get the Hooker through Advance Auto. Wait for a 20% off coupon plus they ship free to your door. not stainless though...

I've had the Hooker CB system on my car since I bought it in '08, I love it, and looks like the day I bought it, mind you the car is only driven on nice days and stored in winter. Nice deep throaty tone. I get lots of complements on the sound too. It's 2.5" with Aerochamber muffs

I've had the Hooker CB system on my car since I bought it in '08, I love it, and looks like the day I bought it, mind you the car is only driven on nice days and stored in winter. Nice deep throaty tone. I get lots of complements on the sound too. It's 2.5" with Aerochamber muffs
Do you have the part numbers?

I just updated my Kenne Bell stainless exhaust by replacing my oem cat with a test pipe & swapping out the Kenne Bell mufflers with the Pypes Violator mufflers which are a straight thru design. The overall effect is much louder in a good way & no drone at highway speeds so far. I've only had it on for one day now but am pleased with the part throttle sound as well as the sound when you put your foot into it. Seems to be more responsive now & the turbo seems to spool more quickly but my cat was starting to break apart & some of it ended up in the old mufflers. Overall quite happy with the new system.

Whatever exhaust system you choose, you should probably look for a straight-through type of muffler design vs. a chambered muffler design. Look for the flow numbers & see how they compare.

I just updated my Kenne Bell stainless exhaust by replacing my oem cat with a test pipe & swapping out the Kenne Bell mufflers with the Pypes Violator mufflers which are a straight thru design. The overall effect is much louder in a good way & no drone at highway speeds so far. I've only had it on for one day now but am pleased with the part throttle sound as well as the sound when you put your foot into it. Seems to be more responsive now & the turbo seems to spool more quickly but my cat was starting to break apart & some of it ended up in the old mufflers. Overall quite happy with the new system.
2.5"

The Pypes and Hooker are pretty much identical sans the mufflers. I have had both. The Hookers did rust a little at a weld that I did. I do think the Pypes with Race Pros are VERY similar to the Hooker with Super Turbos which is what I had. The Race Pros are slightly louder, in a good way. You need to make sure the test pipe mates to the cat back system. Your options are:
1-Hooker-2 1/2" nice system, not stainless and HEAVY
2-Pypes-2 1/2" nice system, 409 stainless, lighter or
3-GN1/TR Custom System-3", light as a feather, 304 stainless, beautiful, but to me a little raspy

I believe the GN1/TR Custom System is modeled after the old ATR system. The old ATR system is nice but VERY rare. You can YouTube it and hear the Pypes, Hooker and GN1 (TR Custom) exhausts. You can also buy the Pypes system without the mufflers and then get the polished (chrome looking) RacePros. Both the Hooker and Pypes slightly drone but not a deal breaker.

And to make things more complicated there is a Flowmaster system (409 stainless I think) that sounds really nice (it was in a Flemings YouTube GN for sale video-the exhaust is at 6:01). Sounds like a V8. But I would never get Flowmasters for a turbo car. Plus the car in that video is under a roof, near a wall, and cold (higher RPM's) which makes the sound louder. As with all exhausts the cat, or lack of one, downpipe, heads, etc will all influence the sound.

I have a hybrid system, 3"downpipe, test pipe w/electric cutout, Hooker Y pipe, 304 polished Pypes RacePros and then GN1 3" tails all with band clamps. I absolutely love the sound and look. Looks bada$$ from the rear. You can check out Buick Grand National Drive in YouTube. It is pretty lame but you get the idea of the exhaust. It is louder than what you hear. I'll make a better one when I have time. HTH.