Exhaust leaks at turbo flange and downpipe

HouTX87

Since I've recently replaced my stock turbo with a slightly used TA60 I've been having reoccuring exhaust leaks at the turbo to header flange and the turbo to downpipe flange. I've carefully resealed both using ultra copper but the turbo to header leak has slowly started coming back. I've ordered Remflex gaskets for both and I plan to sand the mating surfaces to make them as true as possible as there appears to be slight pitting on the mating surfaces. Is it okay to use a gasket between the THDP and the turbo or will it affect the wastegate puck operation? Any other tips appreciated, I've already searched the forum. Thanks guys.

You can fly cut both surfaces if you have access to a bridgeport. Usually the turbo ex inlet is worse than the header. Gasketing helps also. The ex outlet side can easily be turned in a lathe or ground if you are patient. I try to avoid running gaskets. A thin smear if ultra copper and that's it

Part of the turbo exhaust inlet has a very thin sealing area, noticeably smaller than the stock turbo. I believe this is were the leak is coming from without taking it apart again. I really don't want to go to the extent of having all of the surfaces machined to fix a small exhaust leak. Although I agree that would be the best way to address the problem. If I reseal it with the remflex gaskets is it okay to use a gasket between the turbo and downpipe?

HouTX87 said:
Part of the turbo exhaust inlet has a very thin sealing area, noticeably smaller than the stock turbo. I believe this is were the leak is coming from without taking it apart again. I really don't want to go to the extent of having all of the surfaces machined to fix a small exhaust leak. Although I agree that would be the best way to address the problem. If I reseal it with the remflex gaskets is it okay to use a gasket between the turbo and downpipe?

Yes. Resurfacing the ex housing isn't much more work after removal. Use stud removal tool on the studs and heavy hammer and solid punch to strike the ex housing bolts. Back the ex housing bolts out a few turns then use a heavy brass hammer to break the housing loose. Once loose can remove the bolts and carefully remove the housing

I already have one broken exhaust housing bolt from trying to unbolt the dog ear bracket for the previous owner. I only have a few hours a week to work on the car so I'm a little hesitant to turn a small project into a big project if I don't have to. Then again I don't ignore any mechanical issue with the car, big or small. At least the turbo is easy to r&r. Everything in my sig. has been done in the past 12 months along with many other repairs and I've learned how high maintenance these cars are if you drive them. 7k miles this year.

HouTX87 said:
I already have one broken exhaust housing bolt from trying to unbolt the dog ear bracket for the previous owner. I only have a few hours a week to work on the car so I'm a little hesitant to turn a small project into a big project if I don't have to. Then again I don't ignore any mechanical issue with the car, big or small. At least the turbo is easy to r&r. Everything in my sig. has been done in the past 12 months along with many other repairs and I've learned how high maintenance these cars are if you drive them. 7k miles this year.

If you want to send me the ex housing I'll mill out any broken bolts and resurface it.