euro one piece head lights

The Don

Banned
I think every g-body had one unique good thing about them. I love the grand prix dash, the gn were turbo, monte's were sleek and afforable and the cutlass had that sick euro front end. While sanding and primering my header panel, I realized GN's would look sooooo much better with that one piece headlight assemble. I started to look into it and found that the 86?-88 cuttys had them. Swapping front ends would be ideal, but then it would loose the buick's uniqueness. Not to mentoion I wasn't sure if the front ends were interchangeable but here is a possible alternative. Euro chevy caprice lights in a cutlass.

check it out here
LayItLow.com Forums -> euro headlights in '86 cutlass

87 and newer caprice

ahhhh ha I just found out the the headlights used are from a 87 and newer caprice. They work in the non euro front end cutlass with trimming of the center section I think they should work in ours.

No, you're not the only one, there's just a lot of snobs on here;) I always liked the cuttys, esp the 87/88 with those headlights. I've always thought my gn looked best with smoked covers because it smooths out the front. I'd like to see pics when you do it

hope you wasn't talkin to me fam, I'm no new comer. Ahhh your talkin bout little. He is kinda right some peeps on here do kinda have tunnel vision...when you go over to the other domestic and some of the import forums they do some really crazy, unique and cool stuff to there cars, but ours are so valuable that alot of peeps are scared to alter them from the norm....I'll post pics of my headlight conversion, maybe i can start a trend, also I'm gonna try the grand prix dash assembly

In my personal opinion i believe that most of the Turbo Buick members on here leave their rides appearing the way they are, because in their pure form they look the best. Maybe a different set of rims, or change of ride hight mostly for performance reasons, sometimes just for the "Bling" factor, but there is no reason to add a drag inducing body kit, that would look like crap, or any exotic interiors, like i said these cars are old and hard to make look any better in the body department, besides who needs to look fast when we can just be fast, after all we are "going fast with class".

,Dan

it CAN be done... there was a car here in St. Louis about 10 years ago that had the "euro" lights grafted on a Regal header panel.... if done right it looks tiiiiiiight... key is to find a composite headlight that fits the contours of the car... Caprices and Cutlasses are too boxy - i think he used a skyhawk or something...[it was a looooong time ago - he sold the car and some jackass wrecked it within a month] - and YES you have too cut the center of the headlight bucket.... if you didnt have to cut up the header panel i would've done some sort of composite headlight a loong time ago... right now i'll settle on my h4 conversion - sooner or later i'll switch :wink:to HiD :wink:

i'll try in dig up some photos....well try at least.... that car was awesome lookin. NOT a T but all in all , the paint and work put in was tiiiiight.:biggrin:

I have thought about it too! I think it will look kick*ss and give it a slightly updated look; I like subtle mods that look factory-ish, I just didn't know how to mod it up. I would like to be able to do it (but also be able to revert it back).
Probably just get new headlight buckets & mod them by removing center divider & finding suitable lights? Would love to see if it is feasible & how it looks; maybe tell 'em it's a super rare special run '88 G/N :rolleyes:
If you do it send pics & how to!?!

P.S. I just swapped out my shifter handle w/ a Pontiac one (not leather wrapped) had to do a little work but got it to fit. I reamed the inside of the handle out to remove the alignment tabs [Pontiacs go fore and aft while the Buicks are left & right] then I drilled a hole in the shifter to align w/ the shift rod slots & put in a set screw. Looks factory and is a lot beefier. The Poncho unit has about a 15* bias from center and lines up w/ your hand ...very ergo! It is also dark grey & looks cool.
I'll post pics if I ever learn how...

D :)

Pretty brash statement from a newcomer. :rolleyes:

Man, a lot of you guys need to loosen up a little bit! It was a joke. I don't really know what else to say-maybe this isn't the forum for me. Seems like every time I crack a joke or poke a little fun someone bristles up. Dave, am I supposed to respect you more because you have been a member for 6 years? Sounds kinda snobbish to me...Sorry, there I go again.

Good luck on the headlight swap

Man, a lot of you guys need to loosen up a little bit! It was a joke. I don't really know what else to say-maybe this isn't the forum for me. Seems like every time I crack a joke or poke a little fun someone bristles up. Dave, am I supposed to respect you more because you have been a member for 6 years? Sounds kinda snobbish to me...Sorry, there I go again.

Good luck on the headlight swap

No, all people ask for on here is a little respect......you have to understand, I have seen people(and so have many others), that register here just to talk ****......so, if people here jump, they are probably used to having to defend themselves.

No, all people ask for on here is a little respect......you have to understand, I have seen people(and so have many others), that register here just to talk ****......so, if people here jump, they are probably used to having to defend themselves.

I couldn't have said it better. You don't have to respect me for any reason what-so-ever If you choose not to. I guess I should have paid more attention to the "winky". I guess everybody might be on edge a little lately. Been a lot of new folks logging on just to stir things up and those of us that respect this board don't want it to turn into another TBs.com

Sorry.

I guess I'm the only one who finds this interesting?

Actually you have had over two hundred people look at this post. Personally I have never even thought about changing the looks of my car because I am so wrapped up in trying to make it go faster. It seems there are so many things that we want to do that we have to make a list in order on highest to lowest priority. Just remember that it only takes one person to throw a new idea out there and others will take interest. Please post pics if you decide to go forward with this project.

First off you have to look at the demigraphic cross section of this board. I'd bet the average age over here is in the middle 40's. Lets put it this way. Our cars are older than most of the rice boys over at those sites with the zippy wings and ground effects. Alteezas? Aint that a country in South America? Okay now that I'm done poking fun check out this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/sh...91-changing-headlights.html?highlight=Skylark

Like I said in my post I'd use the Buick parts from another model. No sense in making it look like a cobled up POS. There's a huge difference between art and freedom of expression. And I dont think we have any Picasso fans in the Buick world.

I couldn't have said it better. You don't have to respect me for any reason what-so-ever If you choose not to. I guess I should have paid more attention to the "winky". I guess everybody might be on edge a little lately. Been a lot of new folks logging on just to stir things up and those of us that respect this board don't want it to turn into another TBs.com

Sorry.

Well Dave, I do respect you after reading this. I'm not here to start crap-I thought we all had something in common. I may be a newer member here but I've had my gn for 12 years. Honestly, I feel like a nerd even posting on threads but thought I'd give it a try cuz I'm home a lot more these days with my 2 little boys(my wife and I work different shifts). I have kinda felt unwelcome around here but I'm not trying to piss anyone off-sorry

Well Dave, I do respect you after reading this. I'm not here to start crap-I thought we all had something in common. I may be a newer member here but I've had my gn for 12 years. Honestly, I feel like a nerd even posting on threads but thought I'd give it a try cuz I'm home a lot more these days with my 2 little boys(my wife and I work different shifts). I have kinda felt unwelcome around here but I'm not trying to piss anyone off-sorry

Cool. :cool:

ants marching in a line

on the buick boards I see the same ole turbo bolt on mods, so I'm always searchin for innovative members to spark a flame. I like wild card's grand prix, it has a good blend of everything and has lost its pontaic uniquess and has gained its own individualism.

Daniel Jost-hey pimpin if thats how you feel, then do you, but when I see a classic g-body with updated options it makes smile with pride.

Royal-T-Ltd-yeah I know what your talking about, that would be cool, but there are guys on the lawitlow forums that claim the caprice headlights are bolt ons, euro bolt ons...no need to graft, one afternoon you have euros man. =)

Dreamcar86-you are right and thrats what i'm tryin to do, I'm glad this siote still has a pulse. =)

turbofish38
yeah I never said make our cars look ricey, I aint never said put a huge spoiler or altezzas on you grand nat, the only company i know that makes body kits for g-bodys is laurel engineering, i never said body kit, I love buicks, all buicks, but i'm no purest by any form, i'm a realist! some cars are better equiped in certain areas. You can front if you want but everyone has atleast one this we would love to change or incorperate in our car.

i feel there is always room for improvement. Our cars are 20 + years old. I saw some people that swap comfy interiors from of the mid 90's park aves, I see people swap in the bucket seats from the 4th gen firebirds, i saw a thread about how some guy swapped on the 11'' blazer brakes and spindles, i saw a thread where someone used euro style regal tail lamps, grand prix dashes, b body front 12' brakes, estate 4.1 motors, s10 wheel cylinders, POWERMASTER TO VACUMME CONVOS...alot of lc2 and grand nat specfic parts are discontinued or obsolete so its nice to know your alternatives. Eric, i checked out the thread you gave me, which i duely noted, but I'm gonna check out the 87 caprice headlights and see how they fit, then i will post pics.

Guys,
I'm 60 years old and the original owner of my 84GN (w/intercooled engine) and are currently installing non-GN taillights. Would love to install euro headlights or HID's or whatever. Let's keep this going!
Conrad

Thanks for the comment Don. Individuality was exactly what prompted me to build that car. I get tired of driving around and seeing the same old cars on the road. I used to have a 95 Trans Am, but sold it because I couldn't drive one city block with out seeing 3-4 4th gens. I like people to recognize me with out a shadow of a doubt:biggrin: Thats one reason why I also bought my T-type. Not too many of these cars around, especially as daily drivers. If fact I know of at least 5 GN's in my area, but have not seen one T-type.

I like the direction this thread is going. I've said for years when I repaint my car it won't be black. I know that may kill some purists but I don't plan on ever selling my car and I think all the t's look so cool in different colors. Of course big cheesy body kits and coffee can mufflers would be stupid on a tr, but what's wrong with some little changes to set your car apart? And the purists can keep their cars stock and that's cool too

If your tr has a big cheesy body kit and coffee can mufflers, I'd like to go ahead and apologize now, sorry