1991 Mustang SSP (police) 5.0 coupe 47k miles

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
FOR SALE or TRADE

This dark blue Mustang SSP (police package) coupe was purchased new in 1991 by the Santa Clara County California District Attorney's Office, and was used mostly by special investigators to travel around the county following up on their cases...hence the low 47k documented miles.

It's a number matching, special service police package Mustang, custom ordered with an automatic transmission, no spot light, no tilt wheel, or cruise control....the buck tags are all in place supporting this. It does have power widows, locks, remote mirrors, cold A/C, rear window defogger, and AM/FM cassette radio. The interior is light blue, the exterior dark metallic blue. The paint is polished and waxed with Adams products. I have 2 large three ring binders of documentation and pictures of the restoration of this car. I also have a thumb drive with over 100 high resolution digital pics detailing the restoration and documentation.

The car was restored by a well known SSP Mustang guru in Canada, who stripped the paint down to the bare metal, took out all the glass and trim, then painted the car in NOS Ford paint....truly beautiful paint work! The original paint and rubber molding was dry and blistered from sitting out in the brutal southern California sun, as was the exposed interior. Most of the interior received full restoration also, with NOS seat covers, cushions, carpet, glass, headliner, moldings, gaskets, trim etc.... It should be noted that because this car spent a great chunk of its life in Southern Cali where there is NO humidity, and very little rain, the metal on this car is 100% rust free everywhere! Not even the tooling on the assembly bolts have surface rust.

The car moved around to 3 different SSP Mustang collectors...first in Ohio, then Pennsylvania, and finally Kansas City Missouri which is where I bought it from a retired cop. This SSP came to me 100% original as the day it rolled off Ford's assembly line in 1991, a true surviving time capsule. The only temporary changes I have made are to swap out the California emissions catted mid-pipe, with an off road Magnaflow stainless steel piece, and a K&N air filter....the air box even retains the original baffle and sound horn. The next owner or I, can easily put the OE parts back on if desired. The car also retains the original siren, air horn, wig-wag headlights, and internal red/blue police lights in the front and back. The front red light is extremely rare, and is mounted and powered by a magnetic base by the P/S sun visor (I still have original storage bag this light goes into). I cannot stress enough how original and beautiful this car is. The car is rolling on the original 15" ten hole police wheels, with a full size spare in the trunk...all 5 wheels are in mint condition... the tires (Eagle GT+4s) are also new. This car traveled a show circuit with the 3 previous owners, and was highly decorated and coveted among the Ford purists because of its originality and rarity.

The motor fires the first time, every time, and does not smoke or burn oil. It settles down to a smooth idle, and still runs very strong down the road....it's all OE. The transmission is a 4 speed AOD that shifts right on time, and crisp as it should. I recently serviced it with a new filter and fluid...there was no sludge in the pan that would indicate abnormal wear and/or abuse.

I also have the original two way Motorola police radio and head unit that were in the car while it was in service...they have been taken out for legality reasons. All the original radio mounting locations have been documented with pictures. This same DA's office also ordered two other SSP mustangs for their investigators...one was red, the other white, to go with my blue car....the red car was last known to be in Ohio with another collector.

I cannot stress enough the attention to detail the restorer used when finishing this car....everything is as it was in 1991. The only flaws on the entire car, if you want to call them flaws, are that the OE steering wheel shows use, as does the center console, and rear view mirror...they are far from unsightly or trashy, they're just not at the same level as the rest of the car in my opinion. Everything I have for the car, including a large show sign and the Marti Report are all included with the sale.

I was in high school in the 80's and always wanted a Fox body coupe to go with my Grand National...this Mustang fit exactly what I was looking for. I've had numerous Turbo Regals, GN's, and a TTA over the years. I will only consider an 86-87 Turbo Regal, Syclone, Typhoon, or a 1970 GS as a trade...the more odd the color/options, the better...it makes no difference to me if it's a 109 or stage block. I am NOT interested in any cars with T-Tops, current or previous rust issues, polished turds, unfinished projects, title issues, or full on race cars....your car MUST be able to be tagged for street use. I PREFER cars with working A/C and heat, and would love a limited with a landau top, courning lamps, column shift, chrome trim etc...

The asking price for my SSP is $12,700...this price is negotiable, but keep in mind that I'm not desperate for money, or overly eager to part with this car....mint condition rust free Fox coupes are VERY hard to come across these days. Paypal accepted.

Please call or text Joe @ 913-244-3829 if interested. If you would like additional pictures sent to you, please call, text or PM me with your email address, and I'll get them out to you ASAP. If your offering a trade, please have pics and a detailed parts list available to send me.
1991 SSP Mustang 5.0.jpg
1991 SSP Mustang.jpg
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 008.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 009.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 010.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 011.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 012.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 094.jpg
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 061.JPG
1991 Mustang SSP coupe 47k miles 030.jpg
or

Last edited: