ET/MPH gain from exhaust swap

84gnguy

84gnguy really has an 87
What kind of gain in ET and MPH could be expected from swapping out the stock cat for a test pipe and stock exhaust for the Hooker 2.5" system?
Car currently runs high 13's/low 14's around 97-98 MPH basically all stock (mods in signature) on regular street radials.
60 ft range is 2.05-2.30
Maximum boost is 16-17 lb. right now,93 octane.
Thanks in advance...

You can also run a 3'' downpipe and a cutout but the stock exhaust is like a plug. For street performance you can't go wrong with a Hooker System. ;)

3"downpipe made a big difference on my TR, especially from about 60mph & up.

I just ordered the 3in stainless exhaust kit from full throttle speed, wonder if it will make any difference? Going to be throw that on, with a turbo tweak chip, with a TE44, with a FMIC, with a LS1 maf, all at the same time. Hope i feel something...

In my case the Hooker 2 1/2 exhaust made a very large improvement. My car had a dual exhaust kit on it when i bought the car, I believe it was like a Walker 2 1/2 dual kit. I rebuilt my transmission and put in a new converter, I and a buddy took are cars to the track, his was a 69 Camaro. Well the car actually ran slower that it did with the stock converter!!!!!!!! We was working on my buddies 69 and he picked up a couple tenths on his next run. I told him that he was going to make me remove the exhaust cap on my dump. So I removed the cap and here was the difference-(1/8 mile track) w/cap on 2.006 60' 8.113@87.21.......w/o cap 1.771 60' 7.666@90.13!!!!!!!!!! I made NO other changes other than removing the cap. The following Monday I ordered a Hooker kit and I 've never looked back. When I remove the cap now it really makes no difference. I'm not saying that Hooker is the best but it has worked for me, some day when I have some extra cash to burn ,yes , maybe I would try another set up. This is the second vehicle that I've had that the exhaust has made a huge difference in the performance.

If the boost hits around 20psi. on the new setup you probably gained a few HP. :cool:

I'd back the adjustable wastegate down a turn or two if you have one after installing the exhaust.

If it's all chip controlled watch for KR and your boost level.

Pulling the cat. is probably the biggest improvement. :)

I was in the same boat as you. I replaced my exhaust with a hooker and my mechanic 'fixed' the cat. Car felt MUCH better. Not a different car, but MUCH better. Very noticeable 'seat of pants' feel. Get good clamps. Two of my clamps broke and the tailpipe connector broke also. It is not driven in the rain. Matter of fact it is rarely driven:redface:

As far as a performance gain, I'd guess maybe 2/10ths and 2 MPH in the quarter mile, but thats just me. The Hooker system does work, Ive run a best of 11.48 through that exhaust. It fits good and is reasonably priced.

The Pypes system is comparable to the Hooker, except it's stainless with stainless muffs, and is cheaper too.

The Pypes system is comparable to the Hooker, except it's stainless with stainless muffs, and is cheaper too.

FWIW, the Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust is NOT cheaper than the Hooker. The standard Pypes kit maybe, but definitely not the SS version.

And yes, both are nearly identical.

I think the tips on the Pypes system look cheap. Something you would see at Auto Zone. The Hooker system looks way better IMO.

In my case the Hooker 2 1/2 exhaust made a very large improvement. My car had a dual exhaust kit on it when i bought the car, I believe it was like a Walker 2 1/2 dual kit. I rebuilt my transmission and put in a new converter, I and a buddy took are cars to the track, his was a 69 Camaro. Well the car actually ran slower that it did with the stock converter!!!!!!!! We was working on my buddies 69 and he picked up a couple tenths on his next run. I told him that he was going to make me remove the exhaust cap on my dump. So I removed the cap and here was the difference-(1/8 mile track) w/cap on 2.006 60' 8.113@87.21.......w/o cap 1.771 60' 7.666@90.13!!!!!!!!!! I made NO other changes other than removing the cap. The following Monday I ordered a Hooker kit and I 've never looked back. When I remove the cap now it really makes no difference. I'm not saying that Hooker is the best but it has worked for me, some day when I have some extra cash to burn ,yes , maybe I would try another set up. This is the second vehicle that I've had that the exhaust has made a huge difference in the performance.

As far as a performance gain, I'd guess maybe 2/10ths and 2 MPH in the quarter mile, but thats just me. The Hooker system does work, Ive run a best of 11.48 through that exhaust. It fits good and is reasonably priced.

Thanks guys...this is the type of information I was looking for! Much appreciated!!

I am more than happy with the hooker exhaust, plenty of sound when you need it and quiet enough for just about anyone.

I went from a flowmaster system to a hooker system, I no longer cared about having the dump closed.

FWIW, the Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust is NOT cheaper than the Hooker. The standard Pypes kit maybe, but definitely not the SS version.

And yes, both are nearly identical.

ALL Pypes systems are stainless.... and they ARE cheaper than the steel/aluminized hooker... check summit...

and yes, they are identical otherwise..

heck,I bought my Hooker system used for $125 and its in nice shape/very clean..just need to pick up a test pipe.

Finally got the Hooker system and test pipe installed about a month ago. What a tremendous difference in spool up time...it really woke the car up. Car had the stock exhaust/cat with a Flowmaster crossflow muffler.This is the best mod I have done along with the TT chip.I am very happy with this system!