englishtown.

Originally posted by ijames
Dale blew a head gasket on that 8.30 pass. Dave Koepel was the only other Buick in the 8's, at about 8.7 in Joe Copson's old TTA. I heard that lots of the fast Buick guys didn't get invited this year, but no idea if that's true or why. Notables I didn't see include Ski, Pete Bernard, Bill Anderson, Alan Witter, Buddy Cox, and Big Al off the top of my head. I heard that Eric Rankin broke either during the week or last weekend and couldn't make it. There were only five pairs in the heads-up pro tree war; our only win was against a Mustang that broke just after the launch. It was more even in the bracket racing but I don't know the final results. Jack Cotton, Trey Crease, and ESP Performance were about the only vendors. I thought that there was a good crowd. The stands were about half full and the pits were crowded with cars and people. The weather was good - lots of sunshine.

We didnt get invited this year, dont know why as it has been the first time in 5 years????wouldnt have mattered as we had too much going on anyway, we worked the entire weekend. Alan's engine is on the stand at the shop, we are hoping to make Morocco but will definately be at Bristol.
Bill

Bill

Now are you talking about the bristol (track sponsored event) or the Year One event?

njturbo
I think i saw tony go a 9.10xx

I talked to John Schmidt in the staging lines. He was also running B2 with a mint Stage I convertible.

He saw my salvageV6 Racing banner I had Kevin (BFH) make for me that I stuck in my windshield. :D

He introduced himself and we talked about his cars. He mentioned he thought he lost a first gear band in his glide, nothing major.

He wanted to run some 9's using second gear but decided against it. :D

That mint black GS convertible was amazing to look at. Looked showroom new to me. :eek:

Fastest Buick ?

Ed I think Erick Rankin and Chad had a great shot at TOP DOG.Well not to be ,Steve poped a head gasket first,then Eric's motor recived an extra oil drain In the side of the block,and on Sun my new motor I overboosted and lost another gasket but It ran great 11.44@ 120.51.But for what they did in 3 week's on that car at UNLIMITED MOTORSPORTS was unreel great job guy's.Also out with head gaskets was our own ED and Erick Schertz gaskets weren't kind to us buicks we lost alot of good round runners o'well!! Con-grats to Rob for runner up one from L.I. . See everyone hopefully next event.

Originally posted by ulose2av6
i you thought you guys would like to know that we got spanked at englishtown again. To all you guys that brag that his or her car is going 10's plus i think that you better stop smoking crack and get to the track. honestly we got smashed by stangs again. soon or a later there will be no more buicks vs mustangs. just venting on all the bragsters.

Yes, we DID loose both classes (Quick 16 and bracket)... which one did you race in??? Please tell me that you DID... otherwise let the ones who did the racing do the talking.

It looked like there were more Buicks in the braket class this year which was nice, but that wasn't enough. I was the last Buick standing. My car was running like crap, and I red lighted, but I tried the best I could. Sorry guys.

Like I said, there are plenty of Buicks out there... we just need to do a better job of organizing everyone and getting our sh!t in gear.

Regardless of winning or lossing, I think a lot of people had lots of fun. I saw a LOT of club members there. It was great talking with everyone.

Originally posted by ijames
Dale blew a head gasket on that 8.30 pass. Dave Koepel was the only other Buick in the 8's, at about 8.7 in Joe Copson's old TTA...

Not the only ones Carl...

Bob Armstrong ran a 8.86 @ 156mph in the Quick 16 finals. That was his quickest and fastest run to date (8.95 @ 155 at the Nats this year). I think his 60' on that run was a 1.34. Bob has been racing Turbo Buicks since the late 80's and this meant a lot to him (and I). Although we lost the competition we both had a great time.

I also think the white Calias(?) was in the 8's as well.

Thank, Banning. I didn't remember that pass by Bob - must have been the sunburn :). I think the quickest I saw Frank Farro go in the Calais was a low 9. John, Big Al is the guy with the yellow flames on GN and trailer - one of the ones who wasn't there.

Sorry guys, I let our team down. Brian Lee and I mised the lane call after first round wins.:( Never heard them call the Buicks back. After a long wait we talked to the track officials and they were on round five. I asked if some Buicks didn't show up for the 2nd round and was told 6 or 7 didn't. Hmmm. I hate the way they do things at E-town. It seems like there are no set schedules just on the fly planning. Brian and I were listening the whole time (for fear of missing the call), but never heard it. ****. ****, ****. Strange how we weren't the only Buicks to not show for round 2. I thought I was listening good, but I guess not. I didn't drive down from Connecticut BOTH DAYS to lose by forfeit. I did talk one of the officials to let Brin and I make a pitty run at the end. 2nd to the last set of cars to run for the day.

Never heard them call the Buicks back
Yeah,I was running the GSX in the B1 bracket and about 4 cars didn't show up for the second round so 4 of us got bye runs. While we were waiting the tech guy pairing us up told us to come right back after our run because we would run the 3rd round in 10 minutes. We did, and a different tech guy was there and gave us crap for coming up without being called. :rolleyes: They were all screwed up on Sunday.

They really suck there. We where in B1 when we wanted Team GN. We also missed a round as we never heard them call us. I broke my rear sway bar and with no front my best 60 foot time was a 238 12.84 at 111mph:( Nice day glad the weather turned out nice at $3.75 a coke i think I spent $50.00 on drinks alone. :eek: Seems alot of us were having some trouble:(

posted by Banning
Yes, we DID loose both classes (Quick 16 and bracket)... which one did you race in??? Please tell me that you DID... otherwise let the ones who did the racing do the talking.

It looked like there were more Buicks in the braket class this year which was nice, but that wasn't enough. I was the last Buick standing. My car was running like crap, and I red lighted, but I tried the best I could. Sorry guys.

Like I said, there are plenty of Buicks out there... we just need to do a better job of organizing everyone and getting our sh!t in gear.
Seemed like lots of TR's to me too. I think the turnout was great, but if we wanted to be more competitive in the Mustang/TR brackets, we should have got more cars out of B1.
Hell...the damn guys in tech didn't even know what was happening. I got no letter at the gate explaining the classes and I was initially put in B1 even though I told them in tech that I was running Mustang/TR shootout. :rolleyes:
As for myself, I knew I'd launch harder in eliminations...and I did. I dialed in a 12.00 and ran a 12.07. My opponent ran a 12.64 on a 12.50 dial in, nice driving on his part. He also got me at the tree. Hey...I tried. ;)
I'll be at Atco in November for the next one. :D
Sean.

Here is how the PA system works at E-town (edited script):

Idiot 1: "blah bla blah blah blah"
idiot 2: "babble babble babble"
idiot 1: "yada yada yada"
idiot 2:"now call BWWWWAAAH BWWWAAAAHHHHH (car next to you mashing the throttle)to lane BBWWWWAAAAHHHHHH BWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH POP POP POP (one more time for good measure)next round"

Note to director: Idiot 1 and 2 shall ad lib more mind numbing chatter for the rest of their waking hours.

How could I possibly have missed the call?

Ben,
Was that you I ran on my second time shot?
I have the grey Limited, powdercoated wheels, bench seat.
Sean.

It was a hot weekend at etown...... Eric Rankin's Red pearl paint job and the flames inside the doors...... Wow..... To bad he blew a hole in the block on sat...... Artie Platz ran a 9.61 with an old style 76 turbo..... If he puts an PTE 88 he will be in the 8's with his car!!!!! Rich Rezes was doing some nice 3ft wheel's in the air with his silver bullet........ Joe Burkheart ran his first 9.95 et with his GN..... Tony Gomes ran a stout 9.1 with his Air Conditioned working GN, if you get a chance to see Tony's car it will amaze you on how stock it looks..... Jack Cotton is getting a handle on his car and is running very good....... And a big Congrats to Bob Armstong on his new best et!!!!!!!!!!!!....... My son n law Rick took the "Beat the Heat" 71 Camaro down and ran a 9.3 with the lites flashing down the strip......
Joe Horvith .........Noslo6

LOL Ben,

That is an accurate description of Sunday. When I paid at the gate, The kid said, there wasn't any Buick event! Information was tough to get. They called all grand nationals to lane 7. I showed up and was told to leave until quick 16 was called. I was only able to get 2 passes in. I asked if I could make another pass. I was told that they were running behind schedule. In the afternoon, they would take 1-3 minutes between runs. I wish they would have a scoreboard. They could put the lane, class, and time to be in it. It was a great turnout. I have not seen that many Buicks together, in quite a while. :)

LOL Ben that's exactly how it went there.

You forgot idiot #1 saying how the Buick Special had no chrome trim on it in 1969. :D

Unfortunately I heard that part clearly...

It was a tad unorganized with all the classes.

Next year delete B1 and B2 and put ALL the Buicks against ALL the mustangs. :)

Yeah I know I was in B2, only because I changed from GN class since I was in the staging lanes for my first pass a half hour and they didn't really call GN yet. :rolleyes:

Wasn't about to move the car either.

Cut a good light for my first bracket race, .364 too bad I was watching the wrong tree come down. :D

The day was still very successfull for SalvageV6 Racing. :cool:

Snorman, I think it was you I ran with for my timeshot. If I remember correctly we were pretty close with you getting the edge e.t. wise.

Next year let the non-turbo buicks run in the B1 and B2 classes. I was disaapointed to see so many turbos run in these classes. We race Buicks every other event, why not run Mustangs when you get the chance? Isn't that what you bought the car to do? Hell, on the street I don't like to race other Buicks out of a mutual respect. We're always outnumbered.

The track needs to get it's **** together next year so people know what they are supposed to do. We need to get our **** together too (Brian Lee and I anyway). Let's get em'!!:mad:

I was also getting very frustrated with the support personel at the track. When I came in my tech consisted of "...do you have a drive shaft loop?" A close friend with a fast trailered car wasn't even asked to open the enclosed trailer!

When I was then asked what class I was competing in, the guy didn't even know that there was a GN vs. Mustang bracket class!!! The only person that appeared to know anything was the short fella at the begining of the lanes.

Over the loudspeakers we kept on hearing different things. One time we'd hear "team GN cars to the lanes", then "GN full tree", then "GN pro tree", then "GN class winners". I was in the same class all day, but changed from lane 7, to 8, then 11.

One time I thought I head my class so I drive down to the lanes. The guy said that I was to early and that it would be 20 minutes till they called the class. I drove back to the pits (far end of the track), got out of the car, and immediately heard them call the class. :(

WTF??

Why not just have one class... Buick vs. Mustang? Ditch the other bracket classes. In my mind that's the only way that we'll have a chance at winning this in the future.

Finally, I heard that there were tickets waiting at the gates for some of the faster guys that didn't show.