Engine Spun bearings

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys engine gave out on my car just this last weekend. It has been up at gbodyparts getting some work done. Cam, stall, timing chain, ect... Anyways was about to head there to pick it up and brian gave me the bad news. For whatever reason there was some silicone blocking my oil pickup tube. Pics below, Brian thinks i should keep the car numbers matching so i am going to have him look into rebuilding it.

Tarboro032.jpg

Tarboro031.jpg

Tarboro030.jpg

Tarboro029.jpg

Tarboro025.jpg

reason #1 as to why i dont use RTV.

aviation forma-gasket has never let me down. I use it on everything except intake manifold gasket corners. and I kinda like the smell of that brown goop.

A.j.

Weird thing is niether me or brian used blue rtv, so no clue where that came from...

Are you sure the blue stuff is RTV? Sorry to hear man, chit happens sometimes. Defiantly a lot of debris in the pan.

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news. I can honestly say I'm gunna lose sleep over this tonight. Makes me nervous about my car. Good luck with it and atleast u get to build it stronger

100,000 mi was on the car when you got it?? Likely, the last guy put it there...

I dunno i took the pan off and the front cover right when i got the car. So i didnt see any then. Have no clue, but anyways brian said they dropped it off at the engine shop. Im planning on just upgrading the pistons and keeping stock rods. I dont plan on racing the car any, but would like it to be kinda quick.

Could all those blue particles be blown head gasket debris?

Is that pickup really clogged to the point it would spin the bearing??

Wouldn't the bypass open up??

What bypass? If the screen is clogged, that's it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

the little round brass bypass on the bottom of the pickup. When the screen clogs, that little brass poppet gets pulled open (theoretically).

Hmmm im not sure, but the engine was a rather high milleage one. I wasnt sure exactly on the miles, i knew somewhere between 120k-150k. So maybe it was just its time, plus my compression was low so it needed to be done sooner or later.

Just a small update, engine is getting rebuilt by someone up near gbodyparts, and brian is going to swap my rear over to posi.

Did it have the Fel-Pro blue oil pan gasket on it? I've never had to use any sealant on the front cover either...

K.

It has the original oil pan gasket, so whatever that was. Yeah Brian at gbody said his guy likes to use alot of rtv on those covers for whatever reason. But i dont think thats where the problem came from.