Engine showing knock, but ECM not pulling timing???

Mountain GN

No, it doesn't have a V8.
I've been trying to get my Gen II MAFT and Extender Extreme G chip dialed in, and I noticed something odd over the weekend: I would see knock on my knock gauge, sometimes well into the yellow LEDs, but the Scanmaster and Powerlogger would not show any timing retard. I thought I had mistakenly activated the "false knock ignore" feature on the chip, but when I disconnected/reconnected the battery while installing the wide band this weekend, then drove the car, it still acted that way.

Is there something in the Gen II MAFT that could be causing this? I have that setup using the defaults recommended by Bob Bailey, with the only adjustments being Main Scale +5.0% and timing set to 20 degrees in all RPM ranges.

Has anyone seen this before?

the gen-2 chip has false knock ignore in it. Can you describe the conditions that you observed this?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I noticed it when I got into the boost at 15-16 PSI with the Alky gain turned down too low, I saw knock on my gauge almost into the red. When I checked the Recall on the Scanmaster it showed nothing, while the Powerlogger showed a blip of like .7 degrees of retard. When I turned the Alky up, the knock went away. So, I guess I should haven't said "no" retard, as I got a small amount, but just not in proportion to the amount of knock being seen by the sensor.

the gauge reponds different that the ECM the ECM gets a filtered signal from the ESC module the gauge does not. The PL and SM only display what the ECM is doing. In my experience I have had poor luck with the gauge and good luck with the PL YMMV
Mike

the gauge reponds different that the ECM the ECM gets a filtered signal from the ESC module the gauge does not. The PL and SM only display what the ECM is doing. In my experience I have had poor luck with the gauge and good luck with the PL YMMV
Mike

Makes sense, however, I never noticed this before. In the past, that much knock on the guage would equate to 5-6 degrees or more of retard. Now, it barely pulls any timing. I've been able to repeat this, so there's definitely something fundamentally different now.