Engine Oil Recommendations?

1KWIKSIX

I have been using Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic for years & the last year or more with ZDDP Plus.....but am looking at changing over to Brad Penn oil and looking for any recommendations as to the best viscosity for my application (daily driver). My oil pressure at cold start up is 70psi...then, when up to full temperature is 11- 12psi at idle.

1800-2,000rpm cruising on street - 40psi
2500-3000rpm on highway - 50psi

Using VDO electronic gauges.

So was thinking of going Brad Penns 10W-40 or maybe even 15W-40?
I'm leaning towards the 10W-40 as it a thinner viscosity....and feel it would do a better job at start up?

Any thoughts....:confused:

Thanks,

dave

Brad Penn Oil

I use Brad penn also, its like $30.00 a case where i live.

Thanks.....but what viscosity index are you using?

How drastic an effect will using 10W-40 / 15W-40 or 20W-50 have on oil pressure at cold and operating temp?

dave

10-40 or 20-50 is fine. Don't worry but it may help idle pressure & at 10 lbs thats on the low end. I get 20 after a full throttle blast & otherwise closer to 25 with 10-40 or 20-50 but prefer 10-40 Also used 15-40 with no issues but only drive in summer. Actually the old Rotella in 15-40 was my favorite until the formula changed.
Since most your miles are in the summer try the 15-40 from anyone like Canadian Tire with additive of choice & see if you like it before ordering the Brad Penn $$$$

Tons of info to search for here and "bob is the oil guy" site has perspectives from all kinds of people and vehicles. After reading just about every thread here for the last five years or more on this subject, I have bought in to the theory that flow is more important to focus on than pressure. Like our turbos, pressure is the resistance to flow through the engine not necessarily an indicator of optimal conditions.
After initial startup and about 30 minutes of run time on my new engine build using Joe Gibbs breakin oil, I drained it and ran rotella 15-40 with zddp for 500 miles. I then switched to 0-30 mobil 1 and have the same oil pressures I had with the 15-40. I am more concerned about cold startup than hot idle and my pressures run 28ish at hot idle/50 at cruise and 55 ish at cold start with a high volume oil pump. Just another $ .02.:D

I have been using Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic for years & the last year or more with ZDDP Plus.....but am looking at changing over to Brad Penn oil and looking for any recommendations as to the best viscosity for my application (daily driver). My oil pressure at cold start up is 70psi...then, when up to full temperature is 11- 12psi at idle.

1800-2,000rpm cruising on street - 40psi
2500-3000rpm on highway - 50psi

Using VDO electronic gauges.

So was thinking of going Brad Penns 10W-40 or maybe even 15W-40?
I'm leaning towards the 10W-40 as it a thinner viscosity....and feel it would do a better job at start up?

Any thoughts....:confused:

Thanks,

dave

Dave, correct me if I'm correct, but I believe the 10W-40 is a THICKER viscosity than 10W-30. So is 15W-40. 20W-50 is a THICKER viscosity than 10W-40. I've been using 10W30 in my '87 Grand National since 2002 when I got it, but because of the higher miles on it now, I use 10W-40 with no problems. Same for my '69 Vette, it's high mileage, so I use 10W-40 on it, too. My brother uses 20W-50 on his '71 Cuda. The lower the number on the left, the thinner the oil at low temperature, and the happier your engine will be in cold weather when it's time to turn over. The number to the right relates to higher temperatures. Higher numbers indicate thicker oil for better performance in the heat. The "W" stands for Winter Grade. So, it all depends on what part of the country you live in, what season it will be when you're driving.

Bruce '87 Grand National

factory recommends

I run 10W-30 synthetic all year. That's what the manufacturer recommends and until it's opened up, that's what she'll get. Agreed that flow is much more important than pressure. You just need "enough" pressure which is a whole other debate on a TR. Oil is a coolant though, so why not try to run more of it over those hot engine parts. My Dad is finally coming around to this theory as well. His Camaro was set up old school to run lots of pressure and he was still running a thick oil too. Picked up a few horsepower at the dyno using a lower viscosity oil with high volume pump and oil pressures were still plenty high to keep engine lubricated much more than required. Race car engines are different still, but there is HP in running the right viscosity, ask a racer.

Im using 10-30w oil recommended by Richard Clark. My engine is just a street build not race.

Brad Penn oil here 10/30. It started out reasonably priced from a small dealer. At the end of last year it took a big jump in price. Go Figure. Peace, Mike D.