engine noise help please

JINXY

when ever i hit it and get up to about 50 or 55 i hear a clicking and it seems like the engine bogs. any ideas?

now it seems ive blown a head gasket. ive had this car for 5 days, so far ive had to replace the air intake hose because the pipe kept popping out. then heard pinging 1 day and blew the head gasket the next. Is there some underlying problem here? any suggestions on which head gasket to buy? thanks to all in advance. might take some time, but i will go fast! :D

The bog was..

now it seems ive blown a head gasket. ive had this car for 5 days, so far ive had to replace the air intake hose because the pipe kept popping out. then heard pinging 1 day and blew the head gasket the next. Is there some underlying problem here? any suggestions on which head gasket to buy? thanks to all in advance. might take some time, but i will go fast! :D

likely timing retard kicking in. Too bad you didn't take that as a sign of serious problems..:eek:

There could be many underlying problems:
Poor fuel system performance.
Bad chip combo for grade of gas.
Engine already "tango uniform" B4 you got the car.
Excessive boost/no boost control.

Inexperienced driver...:biggrin:

I use the Felpro gaskets.
Suggest you get a scan tool, do ALOT of reading, and learn to tune before this happens again..
Steve Woods has a good site for tech info. Also, Turbo Regal Web Site is a good reference library.

thanks, I found out the reason i blew the gasket was because i had no boost control, the t hose was dry rotted out. also heard that the pinging i heard was detonation. what is detonation anyway? Oh well gives me a chance to work on the motor and learn. gotta start somewhere. thanks again

I'd suggest that..

thanks, I found out the reason i blew the gasket was because i had no boost control, the t hose was dry rotted out. also heard that the pinging i heard was detonation. what is detonation anyway? Oh well gives me a chance to work on the motor and learn. gotta start somewhere. thanks again

you replace all the vac hoses, check the headers for leaks, [cracks], install a boost gauge, check fuel pressure, look and ID the chip that's installed, and do a "spring cleaning" before you do any more WFO blasts.
Detonation can be/ is caused by several things:
Insufficient fuel volume
Excessive timing
Poor/no boost control
Insufficient octane for the boost level

While you are doing the gasket, I'd strongly recommend you change both sides, have the heads checked, and maybe change valve springs. Also, if the gasket blew into the water jacket, it will be necessary to drop the pan, and take a look at the brgs... Antifreeze will kill them in short order.

Good luck w/ your "education"! We all went thru that same scenario.:biggrin:

Thanks again for the help, ill definately take your advice on the hoses, spring cleaning and all. you know its strange. if the same thing would have happened in my daily driver i would have been pissed. with this car im actually excited to work on it and learn. i truely understand now the passion all you guys have for these cars. ill keep you updated on my progress.

Get a scan tool like a Scanmaster before you blow another get gasket again. A scan tool will help you diagnose problems as well as it tells you if you in the ball park with all of your sensor readings thus eliminate problems like you are having now.

HTH

Prasad

Detonation is when a cyclinder ingnites before it should. This happens on the up stroke of the piston. So when it fires prematurely, the pressure has to go somewhere. Usually it goes out the headgasket. Sometimes, it blows the piston out the oil pan:eek: ! Remember, you are compressing air, which is hot. If you are not running at least 93 Octane, you are going to have trouble. After you replace your head gasket, invest in an alcohol system. This cools the chamber down and helps keep detonation from occuring. Like what was said above, poor fuel supply, bad chip, TOO much boost and poor octane, are the main issues.