Engine noise - bad news!

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
Last March/April I posted a video clip of an engine noise in my 1984 GN. Opinions were all over the map - wrist pin/connecting rod/timing chain assembly/oil pump/carbon build up. It turned out to be a a rod bearing.

i have posted pics of the crank rod journal (scored), oil pick-up (almost completely blocked) and rod bearing (worn down to copper).

Engine was rebuilt in 2008 and crank was turned 010 on rods and mains. i suspect a new crank is in order. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and finding a machine shop to do the entire job is almost impossible. I found a shop in a nearby town and plan on pulling the trigger in early May.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have as to what to make the machine shop aware of; where to buy the crank and bearings; where to buy any other parts that may be required. I plan on providing my shop manuals so they have all the correct specs.

Don't want to post a reply? PM me or send email to phil@zynetonline.com

crank.jpg
oil pick-up.jpg
rod bearing.jpg

That appears to be an awful lot of crap for just a rod brg...Any head gaskets in the mix?

I agree; however, on the assumption it was a wrist pin, I drove it 1600 miles from Florida to my home in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. There was no white smoke out the exhaust so I don't think I blew a head gasket.

One piece in the puzzle is that I experienced a crack in my intake manifold and a shop in Bonita Springs Florida walnut blasted a spare I had and it was installed. The noise started up within a week of the new intake manifold install.

In any case the engine will be torn down in May and then I guess it is what it is.

The shop claims to have direct links to supplier like Melling and Scat and they have a good rep with racers. All I want is a stock turbo engine that runs to GM specs.

Thanks again for your comment.

Just that one bearing and nothing else? I'm trying to imagine one little piece of stray aluminum (or walnut) getting into that bearing and doing all of that to it, while nothing else happens.

Only rod with most play was pulled. It was done by a shop that was installing new timing kit and oil pump gears, so I wasn't there.

I am having the car towed to a machine shop in early May and plan on giving them as much information as to what to be careful about with a GN and am looking for opinions here.

I am going to produce a document with the engine history and give the guys all my shop manuals. I am looking to find out whether I should recommend a supplier for the crank (if needed) and bearings - or not (Summit/Melling/GM/BMS etc.)