Engine in, idles to fast

rank

I just got it back together and all back where it belongs,I think, anyhow it runs smooth and quiet but it's idling to fast...1600 toms and when I put it in gear it drops to about 1200 but when I go back to neutral it revs to 3000 then comes back down slowly, any suggestions

I just got it back together and all back where it belongs,I think, anyhow it runs smooth and quiet but it's idling to fast...1600 toms and when I put it in gear it drops to about 1200 but when I go back to neutral it revs to 3000 then comes back down slowly, any suggestions
Btw, it is an 86 grand national, 3.8 turbo fuel injected

Vac leak or you did not reset the tps and iac

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Check TPS voltage. Reset to .45-.55Volt at closed throttle. If it is too high, the ecm thinks the throttle is open and the IAC follower routine kicks in and opens the IAC (Idle Air Control)

tps volts closed needs to be under about .48 thats where throttle follower starts I think

do you have a way to read data from the ECM (engine computer) ?

Bob
No I don't and I probably need a tuner with a scan master program to tune it. Any idea where I could find someone around Bryan/college station area

I had the same problem Mine was sucking in air from the EGR block off

Did you check or change the pcv valve? This can be the source of a pretty large vacuum leak.

No I don't and I probably need a tuner with a scan master program to tune it. Any idea where I could find someone around Bryan/college station area

You really need a scanmaster or powerlogger installed in your car. You're about an hour from me. If you want to pay someone you could take it to Century Trans in Richmond but not cheap. Are there any other buick guys in College station? There's quite a few in the Houston area.

Start the car and start spraying carb cleaner all over every connection, mating surface. Everywhere. The engine stumbles, there's your leak. If its present not under load.

A lot of advice flying around here about vacuum leaks, etc. But we haven't heard a word back from the OP on whether or not the IAC and/or TPS is even properly adjusted. Those two HAVE to be right before poking around elsewhere. Otherwise ya'll are just going to have him chasing his tail.

I thought he said with the TB closed it idled high