Engine freshening...

mike85gn

Get Bent!
So I'm thinking of pulling my engine to do some work on it. I just got a new ported intake manifold and a stck intercooler so I'm going to rig up a front mount setup for my hot air. Now, I don't want to just rush in and just bolt everything on and go, I want to do preventative stuff to make sure the engine will be strong and last as long as possible. I'm not shooting for more than low 12's high 11's at the track on race fuel right now. I've got a TA33 and some 009's, so I should have more than enough turbo/injector. But my concern is what else should I do? I already know the following:

Double roller timing chain
Valve springs (which ones to get?)
Mild headwork to clean them up and let them flow more
Maybe Lunati 200/200 if they offer it as a kit with lifters etc...

If you guys were doing a freshening on an engine, is there anything else you'd do? Billet caps or girdle? Should I worry about any of it?

Mike.......the things you can do are only limited by your pocketbook. You can spend thousands or you can spend hundreds. Depends on what you want.

When I spun a bearing at 180,000 miles a couple of years ago, I just wanted to get my car back up and running as fast and cheaply as possible. Basically, what I did was, new rings and bearings, stock timing chain. Machine shop work included, cut crank, re-size rods, new cam bearings. Honed the cylinders myself with dingleberry hone. Put it back together. Cost me about $400 and my sig will tell where I'm at today. ;)