Engine blown due to no thrustwashers?

meenkeene518

Hey guys,

Well apparently the motor in my 86 is done due to having no remaining thrust washers. we have 2 mech with 60 years of experience on it and in thier time they have not seen any gm motor do this with an auto trans, you guys have any info on what can cause this? i have been battling low oil pressure but i thought it got fixed with redline 20 50, but anyways,

I will be in need of a motor, complete shortblock on up to full motors are being considered. I have 42.5 injectors i can use as well as the previous turbo, so any inquiries are accepted. More info and pics to follow once the motor is apart.

Thanks guys for all the help

I assume you mean the thrust bearing on the crank is shot. It's not unheard of. A lot of things can cause that. Too much pressure in the converter, not enough converter clearance forcing the crankshaft forward, engine oil pressure issues, etc. :eek:

motor

where are you located. I am in chicago area. Local pickup ok, or truck freight, you pay. I had a wiped cam lobe and pulled engine. The motor is in the machine shop getting rebuilt and I probably will never use it. It is getting all new bearings,crank polish, new 204/214 cam w/new lifters, (original wiped), rebuilt timing cover w/hv oil pump, all ARP bolts/studs for re-assembly by machine shop. It was bored .040" 10k miles ago, cylinders, rings all still good. Didn't smoke or burn or leak anything, so they recommend leaving alone. Will come with complete gasket set from felpro, I can have assembled with heads or not. I also have 2 sets of 8445 heads. one set they just rebuilt and are ready now, wich have been port./polished with hd springs. one set has the bigger ss valves, rebuilt when motor done 10k ago. 1600 obo with heads and timing cover installed. a little more for ported heads. Let me know

what kinda pistons were used? stock or forged, alsong with the rods? im located in GA freight is 30030 zip to a commercial location. stock stroke on the crank as well? thanks for the info

motor

crank is stock turbo as well as rods. crank turned 10/10, bearings were still good , but polishing and new installed since out. cam bearings also installed.
pistons are stock type i think. I see people selling shortblocks not freshened w/.040's forged for 1800 - 2000 on this site, so figured that was a good price for fresh w/heads and gaskets. could go another 500-600 and make em hone and install forged whatever. The way I see it, good motor for a daily driver and some track use. w/mild cam and better heads/springs/valves etc. it's gonna be better than a parts store unit at the same price.....