EMI shield for Direct Scan?

Kansas T

GOT BOOST?
I blew a head gasket after I dynoed the car yesterday because my direct scan was causing a backfire at WOT. When the gasket blew it pressurized the cooling system and blew the thermostat neck out, it also took the threads out of the intake manifold. Luckily I was almost home. I found some references to an EMI shield that might cure the backfiring. Does this really work? I won’t try DS again until I'm sure the problem is corrected. It’s too hard on the engine to just hook it up and see what happens. If it does work, where can I get it locally? I'm tired of dealing with vendors and mail order because something always gets screwed up. Thanks for any help or information you can give.

Brian,
I found that aluminum backed tape from home depot does a good job shielding the cable from RFI / EMI. The tape is sold as a roof sealing product (for sealing gutters, tin roof seams, etc...). It is 4 mils thick, grey in color, with aluminum foil backing. It is extremely sticky on the sticky side. I used two layers of this tape and it has eliminated issues I was having with the EST signal errors and reduced the frequency of MAF errors. However, I occassionally still have MAF errors, which from what I have learned is common and considered "usually normal".

Most good chips are programmed to ignore the MAF errors.

I was having the same problem. Kent Chu sent me one ASAP and it cured my problem completely. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Scott