Emergency! Compression figures?

kaj

I KNOW the info is here, but the car is apart and I need numbers quick, please. Compression numbers for a stock '85 GN?

First off...disconnect the wire going to your ign module. Next crank it until it stops climbing. I just did a check on my 24k mile engine and all were 145-155, and I have beat the snot out of it.

:biggrin:

First off...disconnect the wire going to your ign module. Next crank it until it stops climbing. I just did a check on my 24k mile engine and all were 145-155, and I have beat the snot out of it.

yes, thank you. i know how to do the check. i just don't know what the numbers need to be. i'm trying to figure out where the needle should jump to initially, now that i know the peak number. and i am aware they need to be relatively equal on all cylinders.

yes, thank you. i know how to do the check. i just don't know what the numbers need to be. i'm trying to figure out where the needle should jump to initially, now that i know the peak number. and i am aware they need to be relatively equal on all cylinders.

The needle could jump anywhere depending if its on a comp stroke or exhaust stroke, or intake stroke...

After a compression test..

You will get a better idea of the situation using a leak tester and testing at a warmed/hot temp, which is also positive for a compression test.
As for a percentage differential, keep in mind your history with other passes.
Have your times started to increase? :confused:
10% differential is (a little) on the problem side for a hot rod but acceptable for a daily driver. :cool:
Do you have any numbers from the first build as reference or time when first
(started) running this engine (bought or build spec info sheet)?

You will get a better idea of the situation using a leak tester and testing at a warmed/hot temp, which is also positive for a compression test.
As for a percentage differential, keep in mind your history with other passes.
Have your times started to increase? :confused:
10% differential is (a little) on the problem side for a hot rod but acceptable for a daily driver. :cool:

I do a leak-down if the compression test is irregular. I have a comp test gauge in my garage. A leak-down requires a drive to the shop, which I am currently unable to do.

also don't forget to keep the throttle plate open while you are cranking.

130 is a ball park figure to look for

if it is lower than 80 that cylinder will not fire.

hope this helps

also don't forget to keep the throttle plate open while you are cranking.

130 is a ball park figure to look for

if it is lower than 80 that cylinder will not fire.

hope this helps

Correct. I've been doing these for years. Very familiar with the process. :)
Is there a specific way to kill the fuel pump? I was just gonna pull a fuse.

just unplug the ecm from the positive battery cable, or just pull the plug right underneath the license plate under the rear bumper.

My preferred method is a leak down test. 10% or lower is ideal. If a problem is indicated it can be easier to diagnose & a better idea of engine wear. Cutting the oil filter open & looking for any metal debris also is helpful in spotting lower end problems.

My preferred method is a leak down test. 10% or lower is ideal. If a problem is indicated it can be easier to diagnose & a better idea of engine wear. Cutting the oil filter open & looking for any metal debris also is helpful in spotting lower end problems.

My engine has no suspected issues.