Eliminating land line phone service

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Never thought about getting rid of our land line because our old cell phones' reception sucked in the house. New phones are great and can't see paying for something we only made 8 calls on last month. Pitfalls?

If you get an Ooma, it's a one-time expense ($250-ish) and then land line is virtually free from there on out. I have to have a land line since my wife works from home.

My only pitfall is those long conversations are a pain in the ass on a cell phone.

But if you aren't using it anyway then it's a mute point.

I like to forward cell to house when I get home because it's easier to hold phone with shoulder while multi-tasking.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm waiting for better cell phone reception in my home to cut the land line loose. The only drawback I can see is if you have a home security system that is monitored through the land line, other than that ?????

We dropped land line in 2005 . Haven't missed it yet.
Dropped cable/satellite too. Got an antenna and stream the rest off the internet. Hdmi works well.
There are cellular based dialers for security systems so not a problem there either.

Unless you don't have a Cell phone I can't think of a reason for a land line. A fax machine maybe. Probably a way to do that on the interwebz too.

My only pitfall is those long conversations are a pain in the ass on a cell phone.

But if you aren't using it anyway then it's a mute point.

I like to forward cell to house when I get home because it's easier to hold phone with shoulder while multi-tasking.

Bluetooth, or earbuds. I talk while driving with the earbuds and it works good for me. Or they have those neck things that Bluetooth if you don't like earbuds . Skull candy FTW.

I haven't had a land line in 14 years.

I have been land line free for almost 14 years now. Never looked back. Also Cable / Satellite free as well for over a year now. Homemade HD antenna and stream from plugins off XBMC, that is on a rooted AppleTV2 haha. +1 for cellular card in home security system. Now the thieves can't get around it by cutting your phone line. ;)

thanks to the magic of bundling, the phone at my last house cost me something $1 a month and had unlimited long distance.. it was bundled in with my cable tv and internet..

[quote="novaderrik, thanks to the magic of bundling, the phone at my last house cost me something $1 a month and had unlimited long distance.. it was bundled in with my cable tv and internet..[/quote]

I have the Time Warner bundling, 'All-In-One' package. Phone part is $45 a month. It's going bye-bye...................

I like a regular phone. The delay with cell phones is distracting and the reception is not always clear. There are spots in the house that just don't get a clear signal.

I like a regular phone. The delay with cell phones is distracting and the reception is not always clear. There are spots in the house that just don't get a clear signal.

X2 !!!!! especially up "here" :(

I still have a land line.. that's only because I work for the phone company though. Otherwise I would have canceled home phone long ago