electrical Horn issue

garrett

Yesterday, while I was at work-no one home, the horn on one of my turbo Regals decided to go off for no reason. My wife got home 1 hour before me and found it going off steady. She pressed the horn button a few times but it did not stop and she did not know how to disconnect it. When I got home it was still going off. The car does not have any alarm. It was like someone was constantly pressing the horn button. I quickly disconnected the wire to the horn itself on the driver's fender wall and thankfully it stopped before my battery went dead. Maybe John Spina or someone knows what might have caused this unusual occurance? Is there a relay or something under the dash, by the fuse box that might have caused this?

check horn brush slip ring under hub of steering wheel. Also check horn relay, convenience center, behind dash left of radio. Electrical test, test between red (2) and black (28). If test light is off the relay is bad.

its usually from a broken cancelling cam and its not that unusual

at the steering wheel , if you remove the two allen bolts and pull the horn assembly up what youll see is a wire from the back side with a blck platic collar and a spring
that collar pushes into the cancelling cam (white plastic ) and then twists into a slot and the spring keeps it held up on the cancelling cam slots
what happens is cancelling cam slot breaks (with age) and the spring pops up and contacts the steering wheel metal base and it activates the horn

Pacecarta: Where can one find the repair parts for this situation? Mine doesn't honk continuously, it just does not work at all.

Thanks!

The canceling cam can be found in the help section at any parts store. Definintely get the lock plate remover tool. I thought I could do it without it. I got it apart and then fought trying to get it back together for 30 min before I broke down and bought the tool. Wtih the tool it took about 2 min to get it back together.