Electric water pump fitment?

Jeff G

I'm looking at swapping to an electric water pump. Does anyone know if the alt belt gets in the way? It's a fair bit of money to spend if I don't even know it'll fit.

it will fit but you need to space the power steering pump out some. im going to be doing this next year. you will also need to run a longer belt. turbo6x2 is running one on her car.

What he said and it's not really that difficult of an install, have had mine on the car for 10 years and just had to rebuild it this past winter, real happy with it.

I'm a bit confused. Why do I need to space out the power steering? If anything looks like it's going to be in the way, it's the alt belt. The only belts I have are power steering and alt right now, and I just want to make sure the alt belt won't rub on the electric water pump in case it sticks out too far.

Turbo6x2,

What brand water pump our you running? And do you run your car on the street on occasions? Are you running a front mount by chance?
Thanks Jerry

Bump for additional info. I'm getting near the point where I need to decide for sure on electric or belt driven water pump.

Turbo6x2,

What brand water pump our you running? And do you run your car on the street on occasions? Are you running a front mount by chance?
Thanks Jerry

turbo6x2 has a hot air, no ic... i love your car jamie!!! hope i get there someday!!!

john:biggrin:

cant really speak for jamie but i think she is running a meziere. i called and talked to gbodyparts, they can get you one no problem. im going to have them get mine soon

cant really speak for jamie but i think she is running a meziere. i called and talked to gbodyparts, they can get you one no problem. im going to have them get mine soon

I spoke with GBodyParts, the Meziere unit does not work on the hot air cars. Only for 86-87.

I beg to differ. There is no difference in the front covers. Just order it. It will fit and work if you do what we are saying.

I beg to differ. There is no difference in the front covers. Just order it. It will fit and work if you do what we are saying.

They confirmed what I originally asked here. The alternator belt is in the way. It has nothing to do with the front cover, the pump sticks out too far and the alternator belt would rub on it.

I spoke with GBodyParts, the Meziere unit does not work on the hot air cars. Only for 86-87.

What? I run one and it works fine, have had it on the car for over 8 years and yes I drive it on the street all the time. Not sure why they say you can't run it?

They confirmed what I originally asked here. The alternator belt is in the way. It has nothing to do with the front cover, the pump sticks out too far and the alternator belt would rub on it.

I have a couple engine photos on here somewhere trust me you can run an electric water pump if you set it up correctly.

Here's a couple more, I run an evac pump as well and have had to just go to napa to find a belt that would fit, once you have the part number you golden. Okay it's the same picture but I think the caption says it all. LOL

Attachments

• motivator7138413.jpg
    motivator7138413.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 245
  • new engine photo.jpg
    new engine photo.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 241
What? I run one and it works fine, have had it on the car for over 8 years and yes I drive it on the street all the time. Not sure why they say you can't run it?

Thanks Jaime !!! That is what i wanted to hear! I am doing a custom twin turbo setup and have a killer mounting plate for the power steering and alt and would love to change out the water pump to something like you are running. Did you go with the HD version or the one with the larger or stronger electric motor? I am not sure if this is an option now but it used to be 5+ years ago when i first looked into using one. Jerry

Thanks Jaime !!! That is what i wanted to hear! I am doing a custom twin turbo setup and have a killer mounting plate for the power steering and alt and would love to change out the water pump to something like you are running. Did you go with the HD version or the one with the larger or stronger electric motor? I am not sure if this is an option now but it used to be 5+ years ago when i first looked into using one. Jerry

Wow, way to hijack my thread! Just Kidding :wink:

Any idea what belt you're running around the alt, ps, and crank? Or a measurement if you could? That makes sense as to how it clears, I can understand it better with the picture. What pump is that? The one on gbodyparts says it's a 35gph and not recommended for the turbo model, a 55gph is what they recommend on the turbo model. I can't find a 55gph anywhere though. I was also told by someone that the 96-02 Range Rover pump is the same, any idea if this is true?

Wow, way to hijack my thread! Just Kidding :wink:

Any idea what belt you're running around the alt, ps, and crank? Or a measurement if you could? That makes sense as to how it clears, I can understand it better with the picture. What pump is that? The one on gbodyparts says it's a 35gph and not recommended for the turbo model, a 55gph is what they recommend on the turbo model. I can't find a 55gph anywhere though. I was also told by someone that the 96-02 Range Rover pump is the same, any idea if this is true?

i was told the same thing on the pump size however i was also told the 35gph one will work fine for what we are doing. also as far as size of the belt. get a piece of string and wrap it around the pulleys then measure it. go to the auto parts store and get one that is close.