EGR question?

I agree with your thinking. Anybody know why Eric and Mike@Full throttle disable the egr? Is there a performance gain? We should all run catalytic converters too but many of us don't.

Aside from being a possible vac leak it's mainly disabled to stop the recirculation of hot exhaust air back into the manifold therefore letting the engine get cold fresh air. It's mainly open upon the start up of the vehicle to help the car warm up faster when it's cold outside. So when using an aftermarket chip that disables the egr you'd also want to use an egr blockoff plate.

hello people; I was reading somewhere the EGR is in play at highway speeds.
IBBY

Hijacking a little.

I am contemplating doing the egr removal I also read some people have trouble with the egr block off plate leaking. My question is if installing a powerplate and you dont drill the hole for the egr is the power plate down or upstream from the egr valve?

Figure if it is upstream it would probably be best to not drill the hole in the power plate and use the egr blockoff plate in addition to this.

The EGR feeds up through the powerplate, so if you deleted the EGR, then no just don't drill the hole. It is a little extra leakage insurance.

... So when using an aftermarket chip that disables the egr you'd also want to use an egr blockoff plate.

I would check to see if your particular state has a "visual" inspection or not. All GNs will be "sniffer" exempt here in Texas on Jan 1, 2011. Texas still requires the emissions system components be intact and missing EGRs and Cats are among the things they look for.

The design of the EGR block-off plate sucks!!! Mine has leaked on two separate occasions. sh!tty design. Jack Cotton came up with a quick fix while at the BG Nats. Not a permanent solution due to looks but it wont ever leak again.

Bryan

I would check to see if your particular state has a "visual" inspection or not. All GNs will be "sniffer" exempt here in Texas on Jan 1, 2011. Texas still requires the emissions system components be intact and missing EGRs and Cats are among the things they look for.

Here in PA as long as you keep it under 5k a year then it's exempt from any emissions checks.

The design of the EGR block-off plate sucks!!! Mine has leaked on two separate occasions. sh!tty design. Jack Cotton came up with a quick fix while at the BG Nats. Not a permanent solution due to looks but it wont ever leak again.

Bryan

Some plates suck cause they can slide since there's only one little bolt holding it down, but some people make there's with a nub that fits in the egr hole in the intake to keep it from doing that. The one I bought from Jack has the nub on the inside and some nice engraving on the outside. I just put some rtv around the edge to prevent any leaks.