EGR question?

GottaBuick

I have been trying to correct all of my possible vacuum leaks on my otherwise stock gn, replacing gaskets, all tubing, etc. Well today, to check my progress I pressurized the intake track with only a couple psi, and imidiately heard a leak at the EGR, it is not coming from the base, but from around the stem. I can't tell because of the angle if it is the diaphram side or motor side. But, I am almost positive this isn't normal, is it? I can't hear any other leaks over this one and it only takes 1 psi applied to hear it. So it the EGR bad?

Thanks,

I have been trying to correct all of my possible vacuum leaks on my otherwise stock gn, replacing gaskets, all tubing, etc. Well today, to check my progress I pressurized the intake track with only a couple psi, and imidiately heard a leak at the EGR, it is not coming from the base, but from around the stem. I can't tell because of the angle if it is the diaphram side or motor side. But, I am almost positive this isn't normal, is it? I can't hear any other leaks over this one and it only takes 1 psi applied to hear it. So it the EGR bad?

Thanks,

If you have an after market chip you might not need the EGR and could just put a block off plate on there. That's what I will do this week. I don't think the egr should be leaking.

thanks, I am for the moment still running the stock chip, I am going to be saving over the winter for a chip and injectors, but just wanting to have the car running top notch before the switch and keep the headaches to a minimum.

I did last night do the test of pushing up the diaphram and plugging the vacuum port, it held, so I assume the leak is at the bottom of the stem.

hello people; HIJACK From another thread talking about the EGR being able to be removed with a aftermarket chip. I've never heard that. I went to TT site to get the answer and still waiting.
How many of you have gotten rid of the EGR? What did it do for you? Any problems with doing that on a street only car? Why did you do it?
IBBY

I was talking to some people at Bowling Green and apparently the EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) valve would show an exhaust leak from the manifold, not a vacuum leak.

There is still a vac line that runs to the egr valve to operate the diaphram in the egr valve from the egr solenoid. If it's leaking exhaust gas then the egr is stuck open or is leaking from the gasket between the valve and the manifold. Just unbolt the egr and check out the gasket, that could be your problem. If not sounds like you might need a new egr valve. I have a working egr valve, solenoid and the egr hold down bracket if you need it.

thanks everyone, I will break down one evening this week and pull it off to check it out. man, the nut for the hold down bracket looks like a crappy location to stick a wrench, but i've seen worse.

If he just plugs the vacuum hose going to the EGR valve, then that would eliminate the egr valve as a source of a vacuum leak, right? Even if the gasket on the egr valve is leaking, that would cause an exhaust leak, not a vacuum leak.

I plugged all vacuum lines going to the EGR, isolating it to just seeing pressure at the manifold side, and still get leaking at 1psi of pressure applied to intake system. so it must be leaking from the intake manifold into EGR, gotta take it off to see how it is tied into it.

hello people; HIJACK From another thread talking about the EGR being able to be removed with a aftermarket chip. I've never heard that. I went to TT site to get the answer and still waiting.
How many of you have gotten rid of the EGR? What did it do for you? Any problems with doing that on a street only car? Why did you do it?
IBBY

Hello people; Still waiting on the answer from TT. it's 4:00 monday afternoon
IBBY

i just put a new tt chip in my car this weekend. i sent eric from tt a pm before i bought the chip and he assured me the egr was written out of the program. i unplugged the egr solenoid with out any ses light. the car runs great,jeff

i just put a new tt chip in my car this weekend. i sent eric from tt a pm before i bought the chip and he assured me the egr was written out of the program. i unplugged the egr solenoid with out any ses light. the car runs great,jeff

hello people; And what chip did you put in? Are you going to take the EGR out completely? Are you a street guy?
too many questions huh.
I guts to know.
IBBY

The TT chip does not use the egr. Removing it will change nothing. When it is functional it is used to lower emissions. So, if you have to pass emissions you would not want to remove it, because, you may have to switch chips to pass.

Hi,
You know, the egr valve has a pretty important purpose,as it lowers combustion temperatures and consequently lowers oxides of nitrogen. These are the radicals you hear about that affect human health. So, my car has a fully functional emmision system,even though it is exempt from the laws of Texas.I can't say that I am not polluting as much as the next guy, but at least I cover my bases with the law.I think it's a responsible thing to do. OK, guys, rip me up!

Hello people; Still waiting on the answer from TT. it's 4:00 monday afternoon
IBBY

hello people; I got an answer. With TTchips they don't have EGR so the valve doesn't open. So my next question is why have it if it doesn't work?
I'll be back with more or just go to his site and on his forum look for (info. on chip) I got some good info. from the TT Guy.
IBBY

Hi,
You know, the egr valve has a pretty important purpose,as it lowers combustion temperatures and consequently lowers oxides of nitrogen. These are the radicals you hear about that affect human health. So, my car has a fully functional emmision system,even though it is exempt from the laws of Texas.I can't say that I am not polluting as much as the next guy, but at least I cover my bases with the law.I think it's a responsible thing to do. OK, guys, rip me up!

I agree with your thinking. Anybody know why Eric and Mike@Full throttle disable the egr? Is there a performance gain? We should all run catalytic converters too but many of us don't.

Hi,
Eric and others disable the egr because it is what it is,which specifically is a big vacuum leak.It will impede total performance. Whether you retain it's function is your call. I personally feel that egr and a good cat should be on the list of any street driven turbo buick. It doesn't slow me down much;I still get the pull in the back when I'm on it! I just like to have things working as they were designed...

well, as an update, i took the EGR valve off last night and it looked pretty good. But, it doesn't hold vacuum on the intake manifold side (leaks around the bottom of the stem which actuates the exhaust plunger not the diaphram side) so I don't know it is suppose to seal or is a calculated air leak. I ordered a new EGR this morning and when it arrives I will test it to see if it does the same and report back.