ECM upgrade

Robbie_85GN

I've decided to take the plunge while I have money and to do the 86/87 ECM swap... After reading the gnttype.org article, it confused me. The only thing that I've gleaned is that I need an ECM, MAT, electric fan, wiring harness and what else...? Someone needs to make a stupid kit for ppl like me that only knows how to change oil/filter...lol Well any suggestions would be nice. Thanks for the help guys...

The electric fan you could leave out. I think you need to run a wire from the ECM to the MAT sensor. The 86-87ECM should plug right in and run without the MAT sensor but will throw a code.

Maybe Chris will chime in for more details on this.......

All you really need is a MAT and ECM

I did this once before and I bought a MAT and connector from Caspers Electronics. The exising wiring harness doesn't need to be changed. Got an ECM from a junkyard and used a thrasher. The thrasher turned out to be a little too agressive though. It was pretty easy. I may even have the spare MAT sensor and connector around here someplace.

Here's a few links for you.

Here's where to buy the ECM

Here's the article fron GNTtype.org:

"86-'87 ECM Conversion

If you don't want to buy an ECM, here's where to find them in the junkyard:

'86-'87 ECM Sources

Here's the MAT wiring that Greg mentioned.

MAT sensor harness
102065 MAT (Air Temp) Installation Harness 84-85 to 87 ECM

"This harness facilitates conversion over to the later style ECM (GM 1227148) on early turbo cars. This part allows addition of the airtemp sensor required for the 87 ECM. Sensor is available separately, our Part No. 107136, to complete installation. Also, special PROM chip should be used when installing 87 ECM in 84-85 turbo Regals.
Price: $25.00"