85 to 87 ecm

waldo786

I am a bit confused on how to do this. I've seen the link to GNttype.orgs info on this. Will I need to use the whole wiring harness or just the ones for the mat sensor? Can someone give me a little more detailed info and maybe pics about what is involved? Thanks!

I would acquire an 87 ECM with a stock 87 chip. I believe I have a spare one which you can have. The wiring harness change is not necessary. The MAT sensor and kit can be bought at either Postons or Caspers Electronics. People run theirs without the MAT but I put it in. Make sure you disconnect the orange wire by the battery in order to disconnect the ECM while changing. You should be good to go. Make sure you take the calpak chip out of your 85 ECM(calpack is the small chip) and put it in the 87 ECM. If you get an 87 ECM from a junk yard be aware that this ECM was used on many other cars and both chips in it will have to be replaced. PM for further detail. Brad

if you run a 7148 from a fwd and have upgraded injectors its not nescessary to change out the calpak chip ( limp home chip ). If the computer defaults you will run excessively rich as the calpak is setup for stock injectors ,

Pace- I am sure that you are correct. When I upgraded to the 87 ECM it had both chips out of a FWD car. You have to discard both chips and use the smaller calpack chip from the 85 ECM and get a stock 87 ECM (larger)chip in order to get the the car running. In Waldos case he needs a special chip because of the 36 ibs injectors. In my signature I am running the 85 calpack and the Turbotweek chip burned to my mods. Thanks- Brad

BRAD_PADGETT said:
I would acquire an 87 ECM with a stock 87 chip. I believe I have a spare one which you can have. The wiring harness change is not necessary. The MAT sensor and kit can be bought at either Postons or Caspers Electronics. People run theirs without the MAT but I put it in. Make sure you disconnect the orange wire by the battery in order to disconnect the ECM while changing. You should be good to go. Make sure you take the calpak chip out of your 85 ECM(calpack is the small chip) and put it in the 87 ECM. If you get an 87 ECM from a junk yard be aware that this ECM was used on many other cars and both chips in it will have to be replaced. PM for further detail. Brad

Brad, so I have another question about this to clarify. When you mention above that people run theirs without the MAT do you mean they do not have either the ls1 maf or the translator (i.e. they keep their stock maf), or they just use the newer style ls1 maf without a translator?

MAF is not MAT

MATis manifold air temp also known as IAT (inlet air temp)
MAF is mass air flow

the mat has little to do with fueling unnless its at the extreme cold end
some chips will default to 71 degrees if left unpluged so it has almost no effect on driveability , but it is good for monitoring your inlet temps to see if you can get colder ai to the motor

pacecarta said:
MAF is not MAT

MATis manifold air temp also known as IAT (inlet air temp)
MAF is mass air flow

the mat has little to do with fueling unnless its at the extreme cold end
some chips will default to 71 degrees if left unpluged so it has almost no effect on driveability , but it is good for monitoring your inlet temps to see if you can get colder ai to the motor

Thanks for clearing up the MAT for me. So now to get this computer swap straight: I change the computers and will need what of the following...1)A new MAF sensor (ls1 or lt1) or can it stay stock? 2)a translator (do I have to have this if I upgrade to an ls1 or lt1 MAF?) 3)seems like the MAT sensor can be optional...is there a stock one on there now? I know I'll need to use my old calpak chip and will need to get a burned chip for my 36lb injectors. I know this isn't that hard but I'm getting confused as to what sensors will need to be upgraded or changed after the swap