ECM reports 3rd gear on when in park

alwaysneedmore

I plugged my OTC into my car on the weekend to see if there were any codes etc, and discovered that while in park, the ECM is reporting 3rd gear is "ON".
Does this mean that I could have a clutch applied or partially applied? I've seen another thread where someone complained of a hard "shift" when putting the car into gear. I have the same symptom: the car really hits hard when going into gear.

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.

Nathan

It means either the pressure switch on the valve body is bad, disconnected or missing. Not a big deal though, don't worry about it.

As for you hard garage shift, is your idle kicked up?

OK, so it's just a switch that reports out to the ECM; I suppose it's just for troubleshooting?
As far as the idle speed on my car, it's not excessively high. I've gotten in the habit of not having my foot hard on the brake to soften the engagement. It's just the <clank> that makes me wonder.

Thanks.

Originally posted by alwaysneedmore
OK, so it's just a switch that reports out to the ECM; I suppose it's just for troubleshooting?
As far as the idle speed on my car, it's not excessively high. I've gotten in the habit of not having my foot hard on the brake to soften the engagement. It's just the <clank> that makes me wonder.

Thanks.

My car also does it and I've done searches on this in the past and found out that it is also a fairly common problem and nothing to really worry about (as long as it doesn't get worse)...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32994&highlight=my+car+also+does+this

"Buick Shift" it is then :D .
I did have a posi put into the car a while back, and I get a bit of gear whine while cornering, so maybe that's part of the problem: a bit of looseness.

Nathan