ECM controls??

Why are you guys spending all this money on standalones?

I must be missing something, can someone please explain why the MS3 and the holley system would be better than a $500 stand alone harness and a $100 Stock Z28 ecu?

Im not trying to be a jackass here, i really want to know for my own knowledge.

Stock ECMS can do rpm activated controls (two-step, launch control, etc.) if you have the right software and the tuner knows whats up.

Why are you guys spending all this money on standalones?

I must be missing something, can someone please explain why the MS3 and the holley system would be better than a $500 stand alone harness and a $100 Stock Z28 ecu?

Im not trying to be a jackass here, i really want to know for my own knowledge.

Dude, that same exact question was asked and answered 2 posts above yours.

Thanks Fryguy. :) I could go through the list of benefits of MS3 over the stocker but i feel this would be wasted time so ill cut and paste the benefits from another thread i made... Stroker-Ace I think you forgot to mention the $500-750 tuning software you'll need for a stock ECM. Houseofspeed, those types of controls (P/N "clutch in" rev limit) and the like are primitive and don't work very well... We have run a stock ECM on one of our boosted vehicles and many other swaps and they work great but leave a lot on the table.

Benefits (cut and paste I'm sure there are others..):

-No MAF speed density (NOT MAF Failing to trick ECM into SD)
-Wideband A/F Correction during normal driving (EGO Correction)
-On the fly; tune switching (3 tunes), and ECM flashing on the fly
-Electronic Boost Control
-2 Step and 3 step
-Ability to control Fuelab digital fuel pump for output control
-Automatic VE table correction, using WB02
-Ability to use GM flex fuel sensor
-Lean Cruise
-EGT input for datalogging and high EGT protection like de-rating, lower boost/timing
-Alcohol Control
-Nitrous Control
-about 12 extra Output control for just about anything
-About 6 extra input controls for anything
-Ability to run 16 injectors, for example bringing 8 in under boost.

Stroker-Ace I think you forgot to mention the $500-750 tuning software you'll need for a stock ECM.

Technically you don't need to buy that, you can just pay to have it tuned if you want. It's still a significant expense though, my tuner is very good and spends a lot of time on cold start and drive-ability and stuff, so it's $300+.

I am using HP Tuners Pro for both our LS1 and LS2 factory ECMs; there is an MTX-L gauge used for tuning purposes as well. The learning curve with the software wasn't too bad given I had worked with similar parameters using MAFT Pro. It is a very powerful tool and is only going to be limited by the user.

The other/custom OSs are just as capable.