ECM controls??

SS/GN

On the LS transplant when turbocharging or supercharging what is everyone using for computer.Ie modded stock,interface or Fast.Great section.Thanks in advance:biggrin:

Kevin

We are using a factory "0411" part # ECM and used efilive to flash in a custom boosted operating system. Though we are debating going to a megasquirt 3 ECM for the added benefits.

Dan

Do yourself a favor and look into the new Holley system....I've used FAST, HP Tuners, and now the Holley. Hard to beat the Holley system for the money on a LS platform.

STP,

I want to hear more about the Holley system. Using BS3 now and I was planning on BS3 for my turbo 7.0 LSX. Why Holley?

Educate me please before I make a purchase.

Dave, I have no experience with the BS3...I do however have experience with HPT, FAST, and the Holley HP/Dominator unit. Not sure I'm the guy to educate you as I don't have a whole lot of time on the Holley system yet. Holley's Dominator is really the box to compare against the FAST as it has the capability of running 16 injectors and tune an electronic tranny among a few other things.

However, I didn't need those options on this project. So I opted for the Holley HP unit and saved about 500 bux. Don't get me wrong, I love the FAST stuff. Been using it for years. For the money, I haven't seen anything that will touch what the new Holley HP will do on a LS platform. That's the main reason I chose it. Was able to buy the HP unit, all harnesses needed, and the 5.7" LCD for less money than a FAST with harnesses and the XIM box. No extra box needed to fire coils, the LCD touchscreen is sweet, and I was impressed with the harnesses. They even include some nice hardware to mount the ECU. Rubber isolators, bolts, etc..The only issue I had with the Holley system was trying to use a laptop with a Vista OS..For whatever reason, I had driver compatibility issues. Works flawlessly on a XP OS however.

Car fired right up with a base tune and we went from there. This on a healthy 364" NA LS on E85. FWIW, I don't like any of the "learn" features built into any of the units I've used, be it FAST or Holley. After the car fires and maintains idle, I disable the learn feature. The whole HPTuners experience was one I'd love to forget....Was fine on a mild LS, but throw a camshaft in with a ton of overlap and it was a whole different story.

Once you get through the learning curve with the Holley, tuning is easy. The only complaint we have thus far with the Holley is the dashboard. It's useable but not quite as handy as the FAST dash. But at this point, I don't regret going with the HP unit. Like I said, once you figure out how to make changes, tuning is a breeze. The Dominator system will do a little more, but was not worth the extra coin for this project. I had well under 2k for the entire Holley HP setup with the touchscreen LCD...Try downloading the software and see what you think. Hope that helps..Scott

We're using an LS1 out of a 2001 WS6 and putting it in the GN with the stock WS6 computer and a wiring harness from Howell Engineering. The PCM will be tuned by Phil the vette doctor out of Michigan. I think his company name is skunk werks. He's tuned other LS cars for us in the past with great results.

It will be a stock engine/80mm combination to start with, but we will be adding a few hundred horsepower every year.

Scott,

Thanks for the summary. I will check it out b4 I make any decision. I have a little experience with Classic FAST but no XFI. I have worked with the old Gen III DFI and BS3. I will only buy a system that will fire the coils directly. I can't see buying an ecu that needs an interface box.

I like the idea of having a screen to tune from without having a laptop for everything.

Thanks!
Dave

I felt the same way Dave...If it had been a turbo buick or sbc it may of been a different story. I'd probably just bought a system from Cal if that was the case. Hard to beat the service Cal provides if you buy a system from him. If you can tune the DFI, the Holley will be a cake walk.

here is a reply from Megasquirt website....

I'd go with an MS2 running MS2/Extra code; they have a
dedicated LS1 mode that will also work on this engine. Here's a quote
for a solder it yourself kit.

MS230-K $260 Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
MK-Boost $7.50 Boost control mod kit
MK-RelayCtrl $5.50 Relay control mod kit
JimStim-K $59 JimStim Stimulator kit
StimPower $8.99 Power supply for JimStim
MSHarness $69 12' wiring harness
EBC_Sol_kit $42 EBC Electronic Boost Control Solenoid Kit
TuneCable $5.50 6' DB9 tuning cable
USB-2920 $22.50 (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
Subtotal without wideband-- $479.99

I recommend a wideband oxygen sensor if you're tuning it yourself. We
sell the Innovate line.

Wideband Options—

MTX-L digital gauge system $199
LC-1 without gauge $199 (you can still view real-time AFR and datalog
AFR through your laptop)
LC-1 with DB digital gauge $209 (available in red or blue)
LC-1 with G series analog gauge $249
LC-1 with XD-16 digital gauge $299
LM-2 basic data logger with one sensor $349
LM-2 deluxe kit with one O2 sensor $479 (Sale: $399)
LM-2 deluxe kit with two O2 sensors $669 (Sale: $599)

I think this will give you a pretty good start in the right direction.
If you’d like to place an order, you can do so at
Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products - DIYAutoTune.com and it will calculate exact shipping costs
(based on weight of your order) and accept all major credit cards
securely. If there is anything else I can assist with, please just let
me know!

MS230-K $260 Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
MK-Boost $7.50 Boost control mod kit
MK-RelayCtrl $5.50 Relay control mod kit
JimStim-K $59 JimStim Stimulator kit
StimPower $8.99 Power supply for JimStim
MSHarness $69 12' wiring harness
EBC_Sol_kit $42 EBC Electronic Boost Control Solenoid Kit
TuneCable $5.50 6' DB9 tuning cable
USB-2920 $22.50 (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
Subtotal without wideband-- $479.99

LS1 guys will want to go with the MS3 w/MS3X since they'll wants to run sequential and individual. The price will be roughly the same as what you quoted though since the JimStim, ms harness, and usb-db9 cable arent necessary, I built my MS3 without the stimulator and used the factory harness.

LS1 guys should really be looking at megasquirt.

Here is a link to the tunerstudio software.

TunerStudioMS Download

Why megasquirt over the stock LS PCM? I've ran the stock F-body computer in a Mustang before and it worked great. Cheap solution too. I did have it professionally tuned though.

Fry they do work great. We use a stocker ourselves but the ms3/x has a lot of extra features you can't do with the stocker. Like 2-step, boost control, on the fly table switching and burning among others.

Dan

Fry they do work great. We use a stocker ourselves but the ms3/x has a lot of extra features you can't do with the stocker. Like 2-step, boost control, on the fly table switching and burning among others.

Dan

Cool stuff! I didn't realized they had all that. Last time I looked into the megasquirt was years ago, it was pretty primitive back then.