Easy rust removal

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
Well I tried several different ways to remove rust over the years and a friend gave me a gallon of some stuff called Rust Cure. I tried it the way he suggested as well as following the directions on the bottle and was never really happy with the way it worked. It removed the rust but it took more than I thought it would.:( Well after doing a little research about using chemical rust removing processes I found 1 guy that used this stuff a little differently than the directions stated.

Once I tried it the new way it worked like a champ and here's a few pics to show you how well it did on my rusty frame.:) You'll need a heavy pair of rubber gloves, some scotch brite pads, green seems to work the best, and a spray bottle. Wet the area down and the scotch brite pad as well and start rubbing the area down. What you'll notice right away is the greenish clear liquid will start changing color and producing a grey type sludge. You need to spray the area a few times more and you'll start seeing clean metal showing up.

Where I tried it first was the top of the frame on the drivers side and in less than 10 minutes it was rust free. I've spend just a couple of hours spraying and scrubing the frame and you can see what it looked like before and afterwards. It takes a full day for it to dry and it leaves the metal coated in a phosphoric shell kind of like parkerizing but if you don't want that on it you can wash it off with water once you get the rust off. Don't wait until it's dry or it's a total pain to remove. This isn't ideal for a lot of things but it would be ideal for body surface rust where you din't want to sand. This way you can prevent further issues and do minimal damage to the metal.;) The last pic is where I tried it and once everything was clean I already painted the frame. As you can see it didn't damage the paint I'd already used on the frame.:D
DSCN0001.JPGDSCN0002.JPGDSCN0003.JPGDSCN0004.JPG

At $24.99 a gallon who can argue but it does have 1 draw back to it.:( It does break down with long exposure to sunlight/weather and gets really weird if it's not painted and gets wet.o_O

Doing a slight update here. The store I was getting the rust cure from was out for a week so I decided to try a different product. Jasco Prep&Primer was $15.99 a gallon and I decided to try it because of the issues you see in the second pick from the Rust Cure. Yes, it removes the rust but it left a white residue behind that I have to use a grinder with a wire wheel to get it off.:eek: The new stuff works much better at removing the rust and leaves a black flaky matereal that just brushes off with my hand or a rag. It leaves the metal nice and clean for priming and painting and that was what I was hoping for.;)
DSCN0001.JPGDSCN0003.JPGDSCN0002.JPGDSCN0004.JPGDSCN0005.JPG

The directions are a litte vauge (sp) on how to use it so I looked on youtube and found 1 guy using a sctochbrite pad, a spray bottle with the chemical in it, and a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands. Spray it on and scrub with the scotchbrite pad and watch it desolve. Once the area's free of rust you can use water to get rid of the chemicals or spray it down and let it sit until dry. It leaves a coating on the metal that you need to brush off (powdery) and then you can paint on it. I washed the metal down with water to get any of the dust off before I painted it.:)

Glad I could help out bud.:) i had someone give me the first gallon to try and wasn't very happy with how it worked. After finding the video on youtube showing how to use the stuff I'm very impressed to say.:)

Does the Jasco work on aluminum? I got some bumper supports to clean.

I used scrubbees sanding etc. but there is some pitting I want to clean out before paint. Supports are very good but I want to get all the WI salt/currosion out. Maybe vinegar, muriatic acid, or one guy said "Coke." another said oven cleaner.

Try citric acid. I use it at work on aluminum, steel and various nylon parts. It cleans them very well. I use the powdered type and mix in 1 pound to a 5 gallon pail of water. Although it doesnt hurt to try the stuff Charlie is using on a small piece of aluminum to see it it afects it in any way.

The directions are a litte vauge (sp) on how to use it so I looked on youtube and found 1 guy using a sctochbrite pad, a spray bottle with the chemical in it, and a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands. Spray it on and scrub with the scotchbrite pad and watch it desolve. Once the area's free of rust you can use water to get rid of the chemicals or spray it down and let it sit until dry. It leaves a coating on the metal that you need to brush off (powdery) and then you can paint on it. I washed the metal down with water to get any of the dust off before I painted it.:)

could you post the youtube video that you used ? I would like to see how it was done.

thanks

Take a look at this. You really have to see how it works with very little effort. He starts scrubbing about 1:30 into the vid and it's a total of 8:15 minutes.:)

Got both products at local hardware stores Matt. You can order the Rust Cure online and I haven't looked for the Prep&Prime online but I'm sure it's available.

It's actually held up pretty well so far. There are some minor rust spots showing through the paint, but it's from where I scraped it while moving things around. This is much less expensive than blasting it yourself and works just as good.;)

I don't have any rust on my car to use this on but am definitely getting some for other things.