EAGLE crank and rod update

Six_Silver

I just got off the phone with Tim at Eagle....

He told me that they have a few cranks that were done. They were inspected and found some minor "problems" that they are currently working on. He told me that they will have the stock stroke and also one a little bigger (assuming 3.4" stock and 3.59" strokes). He also said the rods are in the process.

The expected availibility time is........ :D the end of DECEMBER 03!!

I told him that I would be more than willing to make a deposit and he immediatly said "that wont be necessary. We dont just make a few, we will be making about 25-30 per MONTH."

Those are all the details he could give me. They have been working on our stuff and not "pushing it to the side". Its in the works!

That is good news. With the new blocks out, and now cranks and rods we are well on our way to having the resources to keep these cars on the road for quite a while.

Do we have any details about the counterweights and/or journals on these? I'm assuming these will need a zero-balance flywheel/balancer? Will the 3.4" unit accept a stock-width/length OE off-center rod?

Not 'looking this gift-horse in the mouth', just wondering. For that matter, I for one am THRILLED about this. I'll be purchasing one next year for SURE, as long as the production units fall somewhere in line with the ~$800 pricetag I read here last month. I'm not nearly as concerned about the availability of rods, as long as the cranks will accept stock units.

I've run an Eagle crank in the past, in a juiced '71 Nova that my father and I used to race. It was a 3,600 pound car, and went 9.40's with a small N2O pill. The Eagle crank took very little Mallory to balance, and lived at 8,500 RPM without issue. Great piece, and very reasonably priced.

Originally posted by QuickWrench
Will the 3.4" unit accept a stock-width/length OE off-center rod?
I cant confirm this but Tim said that the current crank they have completed is a "copy" of the stock crank.

James,

You stated that there are "molds" correct? This would lead me to believe that these are cast crankshafts not forged right?

Neal

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
James,

You stated that there are "molds" correct? This would lead me to believe that these are cast crankshafts not forged right?

Neal
Neal,

"Molds" was bad terminology. "Finished units" would be more accurate.

To answer your question, they are forged (4340 from what I've heard), NOT cast.

Sorry for the misleading post.

Eagle

That is great news!! We sure want a little stroker in our 109 block. We need big companies like this that could make products for our cars and have them in stock without long waiting periods!!:)

We sure want a little stroker in our 109 block.
Absolutely. The fact that they're going to come right out with a 3.59" unit tells me they're going right after the <250" folks.

Funny, isn't that the CI limit in TSM? ;)

Whoever is hoarding the stock 1000 dollar cranks better start dumping them!

quickwrench stated"~800"bucks.If this is true count me in!:eek: That is a heck of a deal for a 4340 crank,especially from a well known quality company like EAGLE.Where do I put my name on the list!!!:D

In the other thread I'm pretty sure somebody (possibly Nick Micale) mentioned the price being $900........

Originally posted by John Wilde
What is the HP rating on these units???

John, I don't think they have given a HP rating yet..... FWIW there is a guy down here with a single turbo SBC using a 4340 steel crank and making over 1000hp (probably closer to 1200hp)....... From what I've been told the forged BMS cranks are reliable for motors making around 1000-1200hp so I would think this 4340 crank would be just as strong (maybe stronger??)......

What is the HP rating on these units???

In a stock block, I would suspect that a true 4340 billet crank would take more hp than the block is capapble of supporting. As long as they are designed properly, a 4340 billet crank will pretty much be stronger than any possible cast alternative.

One nice thing about steel cranks (versus cast iron) - they don't flex as much. Therefore, your caps and mains don't take as much stress, because they don't have to try as hard to keep the crankshaft straight.

Very exciting indeed.

I wonder if this type of crank will be allowed in all of the GSCA classes (TSS, TSM, etc.)?

EDIT: My bad. These cranks are forged, not billet. As long as the forging is done correctly, all of my above statements are true. ;)