EAGLE crank and rod update

More Kudos for Jason's girdle...you all prolly saw the pictures of my grenaded motor (If you didn't, click here). As much damage as occured with the crank "exiting its midsection", I am re-using the block and caps (steel). Many people are overlooking the benefit of the increased rigidity to the block stemming from the girdle.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
...I have a set of 2 billet caps that walked SO bad they now are shaped like magnets and actually transfered metal material from the caps to block surface. When I installed one of his girdles I never had another problem with caps walking or a crank breaking. .............

The girdle may help stop the caps from "walking", but will not prevent it. The caps and block MUST be machined and fitted PROPERLY or the caps will move.

We just delivered a 3.8 done by another shop and the caps moved under the girdle and transfered metal after only one trip to the track.

For an "extreme" 3.8 build we recommend both caps and girdle. If a forged crank is available, that would also add life to a high HP motor. This is where the Eagle forged crank would be ideal.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
The girdle may help stop the caps from "walking", but will not prevent it. The caps and block MUST be machined and fitted PROPERLY or the caps will move.

We just delivered a 3.8 done by another shop and the caps moved under the girdle and transfered metal after only one trip to the track.

For an "extreme" 3.8 build we recommend both caps and girdle. If a forged crank is available, that would also add life to a high HP motor. This is where the Eagle forged crank would be ideal.

exactly!

Bms i wish, i never had anything but a stock buick 229 crank .I have a few steel cranks but none that i could use with the piston and rods i have now. I have one with 2.100 chevy journals but would need custom pistons and clearancing . I never had a aftermarket crank Roy motor and it is externally balanced and it is .010m .010r but with Jasons girdle i have not have any bearing problems other than thrust but thats licked now( thank god).Laz

Originally posted by laz
Bms i wish, i never had anything but a stock buick 229 crank .I have a few steel cranks but none that i could use with the piston and rods i have now. I have one with 2.100 chevy journals but would need custom pistons and clearancing . I never had a aftermarket crank Roy motor and it is externally balanced and it is .010m .010r but with Jasons girdle i have not have any bearing problems other than thrust but thats licked now( thank god).Laz

Thanks for clearing that up Laz........

:D :cool:

Ok, back on topic ;)

I was interested in what was new with these cranks, so I went and called Eagle ;)

Spoke with Tim there, and he said that they are indeed going to produce multiple stroke cranks. He said for sure a stock one and some type of a stroker, and possibly multiple larger strokes. So thats good news for myself, and all the TSM guys out there.

Now for the bad news: I asked him when they should be ready, and he said June or July. :( He said the QC process was taking longer than anticipated, but they would rather have them right, then quick.

So thats where we stand. They need to hurry up with those cranks! :D

I disagree with Nick on steel caps and a girdle. I have bent a steel cap before. I can't think of why you would want to replace the caps with caps that never fit right and the holes are so big that you can move them back and forth quite a bit. I would locate the steel caps with dowel sleeves to line up both halves like connecting rods have then maybe i would consider using them again!:) Girdle :D Steel caps:(

I have never heard of any one breaking a stock cap that had a girdle installed. I run the stock caps with the girdle. no problems for 6 years now in the 10's

It cost more to do 4 caps than a girdle.

Guesstimate what E.T. a stock block could go before it shattered if it had caps, girdle, and a stroker Eagle crank if a guy like Bamford had one?

Does the stock block have a low 9 in it but due to weak stock cranks they were never seen?

With the new PT turbos, steel caps, RJC girdle and now a stroker crank, there has to be a limit at some power level or we just gave the Supra MRK4's 2JZ-GTE engine a run for the strongest stock block.

Gene the thrust problems have nothing to do with the crank and it would have destroyed any crank steel or cast. Every action has a reaction if you load the thrust they will all fail. The well know buick guru's like duttweiller have no intrest in 109 advancement they want you to buy a stage 2 so they can make a living.I think that until we have a stock crank fail we will continue to run them . Duttweiller is a dyno king he does not tune at the track. I have seen them try and get Reigers red 57 down the track at orlando the motor made 2750 hp. but did not have enough bottom end to launch out of the gate Reigers old car out ran him at the world finals.:)

I don't think duttweiler is to worried about the stock block buick market. Last time I talked to him he had 2 twin turbo BBC a couple ttSBC and about 5 stage 2v-6s to dyno it little over a month. The latest BBC made over 3000hp and stayed together.

Rieger's combination was totally new at orlando and Kenny guessed wrong on the turbine side of the twin 100mm turbos.
The clutch also had some issues. Before that Rieger won 3 NMCA World Championships in a row with Kenny tunning the car over the cell phone. His personal car with 280ci motor goes 6.8s on cruise control.

Originally posted by John Wilde
I don't think duttweiler is to worried about the stock block buick market. Last time I talked to him he had 2 twin turbo BBC a couple ttSBC and about 5 stage 2v-6s to dyno it little over a month. The latest BBC made over 3000hp and stayed together.

Rieger's combination was totally new at orlando and Kenny guessed wrong on the turbine side of the twin 100mm turbos.
The clutch also had some issues. Before that Rieger won 3 NMCA World Championships in a row with Kenny tunning the car over the cell phone. His personal car with 280ci motor goes 6.8s on cruise control.

John, Kenny is a pretty good tuner but what about Scott Winsett?:D ;)

Check your email:) :cool:

John i am not knocking Duttweiller i have alot of respect for him. I think the point is that he does not work with 109 combinations .I know that he makes lots of power and Regier won championships with his combos but what makes big power on the dyno doesn't always make it down the track! Elias dellatorre had Meaney tune his engine in michigan on the engine dyno . He never could go fast with that tune, all that time was wasted and he had to start over . Gene i run stock caps and thrust problem is transmission related nothing else would have fixed it. I have a local turbo mustang racer that run ssto he also has thrust problems with a sonny bryant crank, he goes thru a thrust bearing every 25 passes !

Laz,

Your point is well taken.
When are you guys going out again???