EAGLE crank and rod update

Nick Micale said this a little while back in a thread that had pretty much the same subject....

"For building a customer's TA motor, long block w/TA heads and a billet crank, we will start with a $10k budget."

I would figure anywhere from 10-12K (maybe a little more or a little less depending on what parts you use):)

Originally posted by 86brick
Maybe you should look for a narrow journal BMS forged crank (post in the Parts Wanted section) or if you don't mind spending $2K or so for a crank I'm sure you can get a Billet piece from TA Performance.... Hey it's only money after all!:D

Money is no object ;)

Originally posted by 49-blues
.......$8000.? $12,000.? $16,000? whats closest.................I didnt have to ask but since no one has talked about a complete motor price assembled by nick micale i thought i would ask.

We are currently building 2 TA alum blocks. Depending on your specific requirements, the price could vary from $8000 to $16,000 like you stated.

There are many variables like crank, rods, heads, cam that can cause large changes in the final price.

IMO a good stock crank (that has been magnafluxed and checks out for having no cracks) would work fine for a 700hp 109 motor with a girdle and the 2 center steel main caps...... Roy Garcia has a stock crank in his TSM motor that has to be making at least 850hp (his car weighs 3450lbs and has run 9.60's @141mph) and as far as I know he also uses an RJC girdle.... I guess it just depends on whether or not you're willing to wait for an eagle crank and if your stock crank is worth using....

HTH and good luck :) :cool:

Roy might have s stock "stroke" crank but it is not a stock crank.

My car has a stock crank that is -.01 rods and -.02 mains.
It is the original crank that came in my car from the factory. It has 100k mi on it and has been running in the 10s since 98

Originally posted by Race Jace
Roy might have s stock "stroke" crank but it is not a stock crank.

My car has a stock crank that is -.01 rods and -.02 mains.
It is the original crank that came in my car from the factory. It has 100k mi on it and has been running in the 10s since 98

Sorry Jason but I heard from a reliable source that he does have a stock crank (he does use Oliver rods from what I was told)...... Laz doesn't believe in spending the big $$$ for a stroker crank, but if you don't believe me why don't you just ask him:)

FWIW, if he was using a forged steel or Billet crank I doubt he would be using your girdle (no offense)!:cool:

FWIW, if he was using a forged steel or Billet crank I doubt he would be using your girdle (no offense)!:cool:

Why not? $400 or so insurance on a $2,500 crankshaft sounds prudent to me, besides I'm sure that motor was built with stressing it to and past the max in mind so why not do everything possible to strengthen it?

Originally posted by ijames
Why not? $400 or so insurance on a $2,500 crankshaft sounds prudent to me, besides I'm sure that motor was built with stressing it to and past the max in mind so why not do everything possible to strengthen it?

Tell that to Dan Strezo:D Dan built Dave Bamford's motor with the stroker crank and all 4 billet caps (no girdle)...... Why you ask? I personally think that when you put one of those $2,500 cranks in the motor with all 4 billet caps the girdle is overkill (not really needed)..... Mainly because a stronger (Billet or forged) crank won't flex like a stock crank will and again were talking about 4 billet caps (much stronger than the factory caps) so cap walk won't really be an issue (the girdle was made to strengthen the bottom end up by preventing cap walk).... That's pretty much my theory and apparently Dan Strezo's as well:cool: If you're using a stock crank and only 2 center billet caps or the factory caps and a stock crank I think the girdle is a very good idea!

I'm not knocking Jason or his product (the RJC girdle) cause quite honestly I think his products are awesome (I have one of his PPs as does just about all of the fastest TSM racers) this is just the way I see it and you know what they say about opinions;)

Sorry Jason but I heard from a reliable source that he does have a stock crank (he does use Oliver rods from what I was told)...... Laz doesn't believe in spending the big $$$ for a stroker crank, but if you don't believe me why don't you just ask him:)

I know what he has in it. I did not "hear" it from a reliable source.
I don't understand why you would dispute something if you did not really know for sure.?

I talk to LAZ at least once a week.

Louie and I are the only people that have dipped into the 9's with a TSM legal car with stock crank and rods. Louie has stock rod bolts.

Roy's is the only TSM car with iron heads to ever run in the 9's. This is a great acomplishment. I commend him and LAZ for their efforts.

I know what he has in it. I did not "hear" it from a reliable source.
I don't understand why you would dispute something if you did not really know for sure.?

Louie and I are the only people that have dipped into the 9's with a TSM legal car with stock crank and rods. Louie has stock rod bolts.

Roy's is the only TSM car with iron heads to ever run in the 9's. This is a great acomplishment. I commend him and LAZ for their efforts.

Well one of Laz's good friends (maybe his best friend) who is in the know told me it had a stock crank..... Maybe it had a stock crank and recently they made the change to a BMS narrow journal stock stroke forged crank?? Both you and Louie are impressive running those times with a stock crank and rods, but how 'bout low 10's @135mph with the stock pistons, stock rods, stock crank, and even the stock main caps for 4 or 5 years??:eek: Now that is impressive although the guy down here that was doing it isn't TSM legal (he runs iron heads and a little flat tappet cam)........

I talk to Laz, Roy, etc..on a regular basis also:

Roy Garcia <edsunlighting@sprynet.com-01/13/04

Alex,

Stock crank (for the moment)...Laz likes the weight advantage in
rotating mass and I guess we'll use it until we can. The cast unit is
much heavier.

Regards,
Roy

As you can figure out, this was an email, I received about 5 minutes ago from Roy. In response to my inquiry about what Crank he runs.

Maybe the information you had been told is old?

:cool: :eek:

Not to be a d!ck Jason, but maybe you should get your facts straight before you tell me I'm wrong when in fact I was right all along...... VERY reliable source:D

Originally posted by GRNDNL
Who would of thought there would be an argument about Roys "Crank"...............:eek:

LOL! It's really not a big deal, but if you're going to tell me I'm wrong you should at least be right;)

Bottom line, the stock crank is not as weak as some people make it out to be IMO and a girdle definitely helps it stay in one piece:cool:

Not to be a d!ck Jason, but maybe you should get your facts straight before you tell me I'm wrong when in fact I was right all along...... VERY reliable source:D

Well maybe since BG this year when he told me that he was running a 3.4" forged crank he changed it back to the stock crank. Unlikely but possably. or maybe he is screwing with you, We will never know for sure.

I don't want to step on your toes but, the material the main caps are made from has nothing to do with weither or not the cap is going to walk. In fact i have seen more blocks with billet caps where the cap is walking all over the place than blocks with stock caps.

Adding to what RJC posted, I have a set of 2 billet caps that walked SO bad they now are shaped like magnets and actually transfered metal material from the caps to block surface. When I installed one of his girdles I never had another problem with caps walking or a crank breaking. Matter of fact, the guy who bought my car popped holes in something like 4 of the 6 pistons and the crank was still in 1 piece...something to be said about that girdle! Now if RJC would just R&D a girdle that would work with the TTA's.....stomp-stomp.

I obviously have old news, too. I'll have to ask Laz when they switched back. They were using a BMS 3.4 stroke crank at Reynolds. I know this, since they brought his engine to my machine shop to get ready for the event. I wonder if they have made any passes with the "new" stock crank?

Cal- what do you recommend- billet caps, girdle or both ? thanks, gonna build a new block and want some opions.