Dumb question about FAST!!

v6turbojunkie

I apologize in advance for stupid questions but I'll have plenty before I figure all this out.

Just got the FAST unit. I thought the program was to be stored on a floppy 3.5 disk. Instead it's on a CD-Rom V 1.02. I can't install to my laptop because it's older and has only a 3.5" drive. Can I install to my desktop, copy to 3.5", then install to the laptop?

I would think so. The earlier versions were on floppy and I would not think it has grown to be a larger file.

does this laptop connect to the internet? Your going to have a problem, you have to make mulitple floppies from the file. Might be a bit tricky

Originally posted by norbs
does this laptop connect to the internet? Your going to have a problem, you have to make mulitple floppies from the file. Might be a bit tricky

If you use an archiving program like WinRAR, you can split the archive so that it will fit onto a 3.5 floppy. This way, you can easily archive the program from the CD-ROM and get it to the floppy laptop. Network would be much easier if that's available.

WinRAR is available at http://www.winrar.com/

Ron

Alright guys. I got my computer expert coming over to work some magic on the laptop. He says he can network the two and I'll be able to pull it off the desktop no problem. I did send the file to a 3.5" and I think it fit and then found the laptop wasn't communicating with the "A" drive. I'll get it figured out.

Is this what I should be doing? I mean, I am not a great mechanic/tuner. I have no experience with a GN. I'm about to pour fuel to a car that has tons of mods and $ in it. I assumed this would be the best tuning aid for me, now I'm not sure. I don't want to wound this engine. Just starting to doubt myself.

Originally posted by v6turbojunkie
Alright guys. I got my computer expert coming over to work some magic on the laptop. He says he can network the two and I'll be able to pull it off the desktop no problem. I did send the file to a 3.5" and I think it fit and then found the laptop wasn't communicating with the "A" drive. I'll get it figured out.

Is this what I should be doing? I mean, I am not a great mechanic/tuner. I have no experience with a GN. I'm about to pour fuel to a car that has tons of mods and $ in it. I assumed this would be the best tuning aid for me, now I'm not sure. I don't want to wound this engine. Just starting to doubt myself.

You might have had a bad floppy disk, or perhaps a bad floppy drive on your laptop. Your computer guy is on the right track with networking the laptop to copy the data from the FAST CD.

I think that you'll be alright with the FAST system. In my short time on this board, I've found that the folks that post here are extremely knowledgeable and very willing to help out. Just take your time, learn the system and make slight changes to the maps and you'll be in good shape. If you run into problems, post and someone will surely come to the rescue.

Good luck,

Ron