Dual Radiator Fans

I also have a PTE front mount and Spals...I have about an inch of clearance between the fan motor and turbo outlet pipe. Keep in mind I'm running an F body radiator which is thinner than a stock radiator, which will give a little more clearance. Also my fans are mounted offset to the left and down so it's not sitting exactly centered on the radiator.

I have not had any cooling problems set up like this. Sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day the temps will not get over 175.

good to know, i'm also running an f-body rad but temps still run bit high ...thanks for the info

In my opinion, I would not buy Chrysler fans for our buicks. I have the dual 11" Spal fans and those suckers pull. When they kick on, it sounds mean, like a small child would be held up to the radiator. When my temp hits 170*, it goes back down to 160* in like 40 seconds. The mounting is not that hard. I did it. Just used some metal pieces and cut to length. Did buy the Caspers harness too. There is no better fan.

Is there a CFM rating for the dodge/ramcharger/intrepid style fans?

EDIT:
nvm found it.
2350cfm if anyone else was interested.

here's a pic of the spal dual fans with a PTE front mount and a f-body rad

Attachments

• Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 382
The reason the "RamCharger" fans were sold off cheap is because of a weak bearing (can't handle high heat stress) design combined with an unusually high amperage draw....you can chalk that up to "filler" metals in the copper windings which while it makes them cheaper to build it also generates more heat...more heat, more resistance which in turn requires more amps-bad viscious cycle. Those fans are junk no matter who sells them.

In my opinion, I would not buy Chrysler fans for our buicks. I have the dual 11" Spal fans and those suckers pull. When they kick on, it sounds mean, like a small child would be held up to the radiator. When my temp hits 170*, it goes back down to 160* in like 40 seconds. The mounting is not that hard. I did it. Just used some metal pieces and cut to length. Did buy the Caspers harness too. There is no better fan.

Can you describe the metal pieces you fabbed for mounting in a little more detail, along with the mounting points?
Maybe a pic?
Thanks!

Just fininished my dual fan setup...

My car was consistantly over heating with the A/C on in hot weather (NY... not even Texas or Florida Hot) running up to 230 :mad: in traffic and averaging 195 (no ac) to 205 (a/C) :mad: normal driving with a new 160 t stat.... and I had a dutnecked SLIC.... so

I bought a new Griffin Aluminum radiator, B&M stacked plate tranny cooler, new air box rubber (was missing the bottom piece), Jegs/Summit dual 12" quiet "S" blade fans, (Now PTE SLIC), Racetronics Dual Fan wireing kit, new 220 amp mini alt with 4 gauge wire, new Upper radiator hose....

SO FAR... 160 to 170 normal driving...a/c or no a/c... for the first time in the life of the car I actually heard the fans kick off (no a/c of course) and on and off... at idle in park....

For the Newbs like me,,,,,

The Griffin Radiator was from cottons... is the one made for our cars, just fits like a glove... had to use a dremel tool to gouge out the stock rubber ?mounts? so it would fit better...also used a pair of snips and trimed the radiator support (in an area that is not seen once covered by the radiator cover/bracket).. the only thing I didnt like was that the Radiator stock cover bolt tabs had to be bent back to clear the core... the stock fan/ac hose bolts wont fit and I had to bolt them up a little different..(groung the head of two hex bolts and fed from rad side to engine side..and used that as mounting studs for the a/c lines, fan mount & upper radiator hose support.It is a beautiful piece!!! :) still hooked up both the oil cooler and the tranny lines..

The tranny cooler mounted to the front of the A/C condensor..... Beacuse I like the stock look.. I just used washers and slightly longer bolts so the X braces in front of the condensor still fit... cant even see the cooler that much and it fit real nice...

The dual fans JUST fit that radiator.... with the rubber weatherstripping on the front it just fits between the radiator tanks.... but more than clears everything... they are quiet,, not as quiet as stock...BUT they do move a tremendous amount of air.... and cover a very large area of the radiator.. also they pull 24 amps vs the 35 or so that spals do...or 50 amps some deralle's do... as far as mounting.. they have six mounting nuts imbeded in the fan shroud.. I used the metal mounting plates that came with the tranny cooler and hung the fan off the two mounting studs I made from the Radiator support cover...and supported the bottom with three more metal strips that I bent in a vice and painted....

I used the Racetronics Dual Fan Harness.... VERY NICE PRODUCT!... because I wanted to keep both a high and low speed....many people will say it is not necessary... But these fans are not SPAL quality... I figured that instead of blasting them on and off all the time,,,, the half start and then full blast (when necessary) will HOPEFULLY prolong life..and they have gone from low speed to off and back... so high is not always necessary:) . the relays hide away nice and the fueses mount up nice as well.,,,, wish they would have included a instruction sheet, but followup service was courteous...plus what I was doing wiring in a stock resistor on each fan is not a normal install... All these harnesses seem to have been designed for the ramcharger (intrepid) fans that wire up differently... dont want to get blasted for using the wrong technical terms... but they are two speed fans whereas the spals and summit/jegs are one speed... The caspers harness was a nice product as well... but only runs at one speed...full.... Racetronis said I could have wired the fans in series for low, and parallel for high... but the resistors fit in nice and snug with the stock resistor mounts and are working great!!

FAR AND WIDE THE BIGGEST RECOMENDATION TO NEWBS LIKE ME IS GET A HIGH AMP ALTERNATOR AND CHANGE THAT STOCK WIRE!!! My windows go up and down nice now and the car doesnt stall anymore when going from park to drive....
I cant believe that GM expected the entire electrical draw to be supported by that 10 gauge wire... check out the pic... the alt setup I bought came with the 4 gauge wire and all I needed to instal....including connectors...

Just my 2 cents....

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Thanks to all those on this forum who helped me get this done by their posts!!

To install the 11 in Spal fans easily , get your hands on six (6) nylon trans cooler radiator ties. Thats all that is neccesary . I have done 2 this way with no issues. I did trim the edge of the fan shroud to allow them to sit flat on the radiator. Probably the best fans out there. But carefull there are many knock offs out there now.

Also after removal of the original fan and bracket you will find that the Spal fan will slide between the radiator and lower radiator support edge.

I also have a PTE front mount and Spals...I have about an inch of clearance between the fan motor and turbo outlet pipe. Keep in mind I'm running an F body radiator which is thinner than a stock radiator, which will give a little more clearance. Also my fans are mounted offset to the left and down so it's not sitting exactly centered on the radiator.

I have not had any cooling problems set up like this. Sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day the temps will not get over 175.

with AC on or OFF ?

I've read that the fans from a late model F body will fit and work very well. Caspers electronics even has the harness to plug into our cars.

Bingo ! after trying FEW set ups including Jegs / aftermarket dual fan stuff I am back to real world , caspers F body harness for Fbody dual fans /F body radiator .......so now .... Precision FMIC , AC on , in everydays trafic and any weather including humid Illinois summer , all cool :cool:
had to however remake turbo discharge pipe to fit F body fans .:cool:

AC is gone.:)

that explains your low temps in hot weather , AC ON is...a killer with front mount in humid weather,the part of US you in makes a big difference , let me put it this way , 116 F in Las Vegas is better then 87 F with humid in Illinois :cool: for your engine or yourself ,have to experience it first hand to believe however , where I live , Antioch ILLINOIS only F body fans/radiator did good job so far ,but it's a combo of fans and radiator designed by GM to work that way , how much CFMs your aftermarket fans pull means SH...$%# ? if thay do not match the radiator design , I think you all know what I mean :)

No offense to any vendors, but this is my experience..

I have had 2 sets of the "Ramchargers" fans
1st set pass side motor started to squeal and then died
Next set bought the Caspers harness to fix reason why other set died due to supposed voltage problem well guess what....
2nd set the drivers side fan started squealing and now its dead.

So dont waste your time IMO.
My car gets drove all the time/DD to the max. So a show car/garage queen, strip car the fans would probably last.
DD NO

Im looking at the Spals that Hartline has.

I bought the Ramchargers fans a few years ago. One of them has been dead for a while.

They're still defective?