Drunk Driving

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
Hey Guys-
I'm a freshman at Lehigh finishing up my first semester. Throughout the year I've been talking to a lot of people and I was really surprised as to how many people have driven drunk. Most of the people I know say they've done it at least once and that it's "fun." Now I don't know what kind of values these people have, but I value my life and the lives of everyone else on the road way too much to even think about drunk driving. How many people on the board have driven drunk before? Just wondering...

Lost too many close people to even think about it :(

I hardly ever drink, period.
Out in the sparsely populated areas, it is not uncommon. Public transportation doesnt exist out this far, and if you drive to the bar, you drive home. People can't tell just how drunk they are, and think they are fine.
Where I went to college, some of the bars will take your keys before they let you in. Then you have to get them back to go home. If you arent up to it, they keep your keys. Good idea in theory, but Joe Schmo bouncer might easily mix up the keys. ("oh yeah, I was the one with the Porsche! Man dont you remember?)
They have also installed many cameras outside the bars downtown, and put plenty of officers out on the weekends.

Unfortunately, sometimes it takes losing someone close because of an accident, or spending time behind bars to wake these people up.

There may have been a time or two in collage that I shouldn't have driven. There were many nights I walked home from the bar and rode my bike the next day to get my car. I don't see how anyone could consider driving drunk fun. I hope that when they are having fun that they hit a wall instead of an innocent person.

my grand mother was killed, and both me and my brother were put in the hospital because a drunk driver. it happened before all the drunk driving laws were put in place, so the guy got away with murder, its sickening.

if you know anyone that is even thinking about driving drunk. stop them at all costs. they may be pissed at you for it, but its worth saving a life.

I used to do it in college and when I was a teacher sometimes. Now I'm a cop. Was I fall down drunk? No...when you're drinking you've got that "Oh, I can do it" attitude.

Now that I'm older, wiser and realize I'm not indestructable, I limit myself to very small amounts of alcohol when I'm going to be driving. If I overstep my self imposed bounds, someone drives me home. I'd rather pay for a tow though than leave my GN somewhere though.

For $25 you can buy a breathylizer tester on Ebay. While it won't support you in court, it can give you a good idea at how easy it is to be over the limit before you even realize it.

DUI is dangerous and definitely not worth it. I'm fortunate that someone upstairs wanted me to make it home.:rolleyes:

AS Geogre Thorogood Song say's I drink alone........ at home! Never ever drive drunk.

I down 1 beer on saturday night at home with supper
as soon as I hit the couch I end up asleep in no time.

I too as Wako said drank & drove many times in those crazy 18 to 25 year age bracket.. I am lucky that I did not kill anyone or myself. I don't remember driving home some nights.

I do remember one night in my z-28 doing 130mph on a road that was long & had a 35 mph limit.

WHAT REALLY BOTHERS ME IS THE OTHER GUY/GAL OUT THERE WHEN I HAVE TO DRIVE HOME AFTER my 2nd shift..
I have seen a lot of bone heads out there on the roadways

While hardly proud of it, back when I was 21-22, there were many times I should not have been driving, and it scares me to think of the few times where I was BOMBED and drove. What can be more terrifying than a guy who had 8 beers, and 5 double screwdrivers within a 5 hour period driving a 5000lb New Yorker trying to see if it would reach 130 before the next bend on a highway. Well, it did and scares the **** out of me when I think about. Luckily, there was no traffic, or deer, but it could have been a disaster.

Now, 10 years later, if I am out and have had even 1 beer, I will not drive. About 5 years ago at a company Christmas party, I almost had to punch out a friend to give me his keys, but he finally agreed that he should get a ride instead.

Yeah, plenty of times. I drink mostly at clubs, but sometimes I drink at a friend's house, hotel (lol), or a bar. While I always stop drinking at least an hour or two before I drive, I am a lightweight and sometimes I'm still a little tipsy after two hours have gone by (but I guess tipsy and drunk are too different things, eh?). While I hate doing this, I can't deny that it happens sometimes. But to tell you the truth, I feel much worse when I'm driving on no sleep, and that's completely legal...

I'm not proud, but back in 92', I was 18 yrs, I had a 1986 IROC, TPI, I was so drunk I don't even remember flipping it over, From the looks of it I ran off the road and yanked the wheel back and ended up doing a 360* and the rear tires dug into the ground and it flipped once, landing on all fours.

I actually started it back up and tried to dive away, but the spare was under the axle and the tires were spinning, and the rear tire was flat.

I am so grateful to be alive today and that there were no other cars or people around. Now I don't even touch the stuff. Those people who said it's fun are fools!!! DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!
Even one is enough to impare(sp?) your judgement. You don't have to have slurred speech or be fall down drunk to be impared.
People who insist they are not drunk or try to make it seem they can handle it are usually the worst.

Take care and drive safe out there.....

Originally posted by WakkoSS
I used to do it in college and when I was a teacher sometimes.

when you were a teacher too? no wonder why im so screwed up... i had some one like you teaching me?! :eek:

j/k :D

-neil

ChevyMD38, I haven't driven drunk, but there is a nice red Saab NG900 at your school, guys name is Eric, knows alot about turbos.

In the median on I-77 in W.VA is a totally demolished passenger car with a sign the sums it up for me. It says:
"Sometimes it takes a family of four to stop a drunk driver"

Sully

SOBERING STORY

I was a local PD in NC and my "specialty was DWI.. Allot of people think it is a victimless crime which in the very lucky cases a drunk driver made it to the destination without incident..I personally had a Zero Tolerance for that.. IF you were drunk and behind the wheel, you are going down. ANd there were occasions that I arrested drunk drivers as they pulled into thier driveway

.. Average citizens have the luxury of not knowing or not seeing what really happens in the neighborhood other than watching it on TV (which in most cases is not really impacting a train of thought... But I would like to share a story:

A late Wed Evening in the mid 90s~11 pm an officer was behind a vehicle traveling at the speed limit but was "weaving" between the lines in the middle and side of the lane. The blues were lit and and vehicle floored it.. Now, having a "No chase Policy" for non-felony/violent crimes, limited the officer to a safe distance instead of chasing and disabling.

About 3-4 miles ahead was an intersection where the officer saw the rear of the vehicle but nothing else until the taillights made a violent lift off the ground and another set appeared spinning like a pinwheel.

Upon arrival, the suspected DWI was standing outside his vehicle completely intoxicated without a scratch on him.. What was left of the minivan was a 3 peices of twisted metal and a family of 4 dead including a 3yr old 11 yr old and the parents..

So, this SOB had the audacity to say "I was almost home".. The victims had just packed up and was on the way to Disney World for thier annual vacation.

The drivers BAC level was .11 he was 18 Years old.. and this would be a 2nd DWI offense.. (Misd) instead he was charged with 4 counts of Vehicluar Manslaughter and Felony evading.

When interviewed the suspect said I often have a "harmless drink" here and there..

Needless to say he was found guilty and sentenced to 50+ years with elegibility for Parol after 30..

The moral of the true story is whne mixing machine and booze there is no excuse! No reason! and no bringing back the dead..:mad: Sorry for the vent but I have seen too many lives being shattered by this type of incident.

I'll admit, when I was young and dumb and... well young and dumb. I can recall 2 times when I say to myself " What the hell were you thinking?"

I rarely drink away from home now, and when I do it very little. Three years ago, my folks were cut off by a drunk driver. She crossed their path attempting a left turn. It was a miracle they survived because they don't (before then) wear seatbelts. Neither could explain it, but they both buckled up that night. Considering the damage to the car and the distance mom's Jetta pushed the other car, I doubt they would be here today if they hadn't buckled up.

Next time someone says it's fun, punch him in the nose.

When he asks you why you did it, tell him it was fun.

Originally posted by metal-box
Next time someone says it's fun, punch him in the nose.

When he asks you why you did it, tell him it was fun.

hey thats a good idea, im going to remember that one.. :D

I drove drunk once, i could hardly control my car, And i used to drink alot, and was able to handle it, but driving a car is differet. I never did it agian because i had a very close call, and not with a car!. I stopped in a parking lot because i had to piss liek a race horse, and guess who decides to roll in and check out the area. A police cruiser pulls up next to me. Good thing i had a cigarette in my mouth, i gave him that excuse to why i wasnt in my car, i said i hate smokign in my car because of ashes, and i just stopped there before i went home. Never agian!

I used to when I was young and stupid. Now that I'm old and stupid I have too much to lose...Don't drive drunk and don't ride with anyone that has been drinking either.

Originally posted by Pronto
I used to when I was young and stupid.

I remember you were parked the wrong way on a oneway street saying the cars going by looked like matchboxes & we drove you home.

Remember the CHAMPANGE bottles & driving through HARVARD sq in Cambridge?? Lucky we never tagged anyone.:eek:

i changed my drinking habits

i slowed down drinking, but a few years back, i would drink long island ice tea's or vodka & oj. 1 night at happy hour i downed 1 too many & was drunk as hell , somehow i dont know how i managed to make it home & put the GN in the garage & didnt remember what time i left the bar. it made me think that if i cant remember what i did, i shouldn't be drinking more than i can handle. now a days no heavy drinking for me or anyone i know thats drunk and cant drive. i was lucky no accidents or cops.