Drum Brakes Adjusting Screw - What lube to use?

HyperV6

I'm replacing all the old brake parts on my rear end. So, I'm replacing the adjusting screws for the drum brakes (adjuster with star wheel). The service manual calls out GM 5450032 which has been obsoleted. What type of lubricant should I use on the threads of the adjuster?

Thanks, Craig

I'm replacing all the old brake parts on my rear end. So, I'm replacing the adjusting screws for the drum brakes (adjuster with star wheel). The service manual calls out GM 5450032 which has been obsoleted. What type of lubricant should I use on the threads of the adjuster?

Thanks, Craig
Any bearing or white lithium grease will do.

I noticed there are no slots on the back side of the brake housing to adjust the star. Do the brakes self-adjust when applied while backing up?

I noticed there are no slots on the back side of the brake housing to adjust the star. Do the brakes self-adjust when applied while backing up?
Hmm. It has been awhile but I do believe mine has the slot. It would be pretty hard to remove the drum if you could not back off the adjustment. You sure the rubber plug is not covering up the slot??

No slot.....thers a tool but easy way is adjust it to where you can pull the drum on and off with some drag to it. Then once assembled just do the back up stop and pull forward stop a few times to walk adjusters

...and don't sit on the couch after using it. It's a well known scientifical fact that one molecule of anti-seeze on your finger tip can cover your whole body without you knowing it. It's almost as bad as heat sink compound.

There are knockouts instead of rubber plugs if it is a virgin adjsut. You have to hammer and chissle the knockouts out. Better to drill and then you can pry it out. Then you can use the regular brake adj tool. The rubber plugs are the same ones GM has used forever and I just got some on eBay.

if ebay isn't your thing and you want the rubber plugs today, the Help! section of any parts store will have them for a couple of bucks..

and, yes, the drum brakes self adjust when you stop in reverse.. if you are one of those people that never comes to a complete stop when backing up, then your brakes are never self adjusting and the adjusting stuff can freeze up...