can't get the rear brakes to loosen to remove drums

6gunn

high on gas fumes
I'm trying to get the brake drum off to replace a broken wheel stud and inspect everything, but am not having any luck getting the brakes to back off by using a brake spoon to turn the adjuster. It seems that it will only tighten...and not loosen. The lower shock mount is right in the way, so I can't get a good angle to turn the adjuster the other way...plus it seems like it can only be turned one way, right? The drum is loose enough that I can tell it's not rusted to the hub, but there's probably a groove in the drum from the brakes that's holding it in place. Any suggestions?

Need to push the racket catch in and turn the adjuster in the opposite direction. The direction you are currently turning the adjuster is on the tighter side, not looser.

Here is a pic from the FSM:

AdjustDrum.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

So I need a flathead to hold up on the thing that is keeping the adjuster wheel from turning the other way? Never would have figured this out, thanks!

Yes, just need to push in on it to move it away from the star wheel. Rear drum brakes are way too complicated. Between the self adjusters and the parking brake mechanism, there is a lot of linkage in there.

RemoveBeforeFlight

drum brakes are simple once you learn what all the parts do.. my grandpa showed me how to back off the adjusters almost 30 years ago when i was helping him work on cars in his garage and i've taken apart and reassembled the drum brakes on dozens of cars over the years, but i never really sat down and looked at how the self adjusting mechanism works until this past spring when i was trying to figure out how to add the self adjusters to my girlfriend's 64 C10 pickup... i bought all the parts at NAPA and put it together, and it just sort of clicked how it works- it's actually pretty simple once you visualize how everything moves..