driving with a spool on the street

I did this once on a '69 Camaro I had. It wasn't bad at all with street tires, but the tires will wear out pretty quick. I WOULD NOT recommend doing it if you run sticky tires on the street (M&H, Mickeys, Drag Radials, Slicks, etc...), if you do you will be miserable and I know this from experience too.

I drove my car around with 16x33's & a spool, you get used to it. I wouldn't do it for a daily driver. I think a locker is worse! A friend bought a 35 spline locker, couldn't take the locking & unlocking while driving. He now has a spool and is happier

Spool

Been there done that! What I found worked best was to slow down more than usual on a turn, then accelerate through the turn. Applying power through the turn helps even out the scuffing. Still harder on tires, but smoothes out the ride.

not sure if i like it yet. i was kicking my self in the ass one day. i was backing up my drive way which has a nice coating on it and it left rubber up the whole driveway.

It sux when you have to push it tho:mad:.

I was told that it would not be good on the street but for the little time I drove my car this year it never even crossed my mind that it was there. Car still drove and turned pretty smoothly.

Had it in my DD T for 3yrs and never had a problem with tires....other than doing some nice donuts ;) pushing it is a pita especially if you have to turn but would I do it again HELL YEAH!

Depending on you rhp level I would consider an Eaton posi but I have been driving with spools in the diff for 15 years and hardly notice it. With these turbo cars i wouldn't even worry about a spool until well into the 10's.

For a street car i would think an auburn posi with moser axles would be all you need and not worry about how you drive it. I had this set-up done in 1996 with many hard street miles on it and it's still going strong,best money i ever spent on the car. KISS = keep it simple stup*d :) is a good way to go.

Don't really know anything about a spool but if its anything like a welded diff., I wouldn't do it. If you do you can kiss your rear tires goodbye (I go through a set of Federal 595 SuperSteels 'bout every 6-8 months-good thing they're cheap:biggrin: ). My 240sx daily driver had the diff. welded by the previous owner. Its fun, don't get me wrong, but you'll break the bank in rear tires. Tail happy, a pain turning at slow speeds, and if you ever get caught in the rain, Watch OUT!!!, if one tire hits a puddle it'll slow 'em both down and try to jerk the whole car sideways.

My (amateur)advise, go with a good ol' posi. You'll be much happier, safer, and have more money in the bank. If my car had ANY power, I'd go posi. As it stands now, I can handle it, 2 years, 365, rain or shine and the only dents in the car are the ones there when I bought it.:biggrin:

Now watch me friggin' wreak tomorrow.:rolleyes:

For a street car I'd go posi all the way.

For a straight line quarter mile superstar, I'd go spool.