Drivetrain difference in the T-Type and GN

Tucco

Bow Tie Fan
Are there any noteable differences between the T-Type and the GN in the drivetrain? turbo? intercooler?

or like the muskrat gt/lx: same car just one's a little more sedate than the other....

Thanks guys! This post is to settle an argument with a guy that says the T-Type has a different turbo and set up than the GN. He says there is some sort of T or something on the motor set up on T-Type and that is why they called it the T-Type. He still doesn't believe all the posts so does anyone have any printed material saying the T and the GN share the same components? Sorry, but gotta educate the ignorant.

Actually in 1987, I saw a T-Type that was not a turbo car. The driver told me that in 87, one could order the trim only option - it was a V8 car that looked like a T-Type and said T-Type. However, I believe the debate you are having with your friend is about 1986 or 7 turbo car vs. turbo car, T-Type vs. GN, not some weird trim only package that has a clear and obvious different engine and the answer to that is found above - they are the same. Well, that's not the whole truth, the far superior 1986 grill just makes the car way faster and valuable :D :p :)

True, the "T-type" was done away with as a complete package for 87 and broken into 3 sub-groups, so as a consequence you got some odd combinations. Anyway, if you can find some old sales literature or magazine road tests you'll find identical specs between the two. In 86 car and driver and motor trend tested a GN, and hot rod and car craft tested a grey 86 t-type and the times were pretty close to each other.

Acually, in 1986, there were no Grand National models as was in 1987. What you had to order, was a T-Type w/ the Grand National trim package ( about a $650 dollar option from memory, w/o looking a my invoice ). So all 1986 GN's were optioned T-Types, and in 1987 they were their own model. This should settle your dispute. Brian

But it still comes down to one indisputable fact (among those in the know that is). That in 87 (or 86 for that matter), there was NO difference in power trains in the "GN" and "T's"

Fuelie600 said:
Acually, in 1986, there were no Grand National models as was in 1987. What you had to order, was a T-Type w/ the Grand National trim package ( about a $650 dollar option from memory, w/o looking a my invoice ). So all 1986 GN's were optioned T-Types, and in 1987 they were their own model. This should settle your dispute. Brian

That's very good! Should settle it. What all said is true!

My receipt says Buick Regal T-Type. The standard equipment with the T-Type is all the drive train. The options lists the GN option and it does not include the double secret power thingie - that comes with the T-Type part

No Difference

Kirban has a couple of books that document the no difference thing. Tell you friend to buy one or call kirban, jack cotton, ken mosher, chuck strader, or anyone on this board to verify... THAT'S THE FACT. :eek:

TurboDave said:
But it still comes down to one indisputable fact (among those in the know that is). That in 87 (or 86 for that matter), there was NO difference in power trains in the "GN" and "T's"

That's true as long as they're comparing turbo cars. Blown&Injected is right - I forgot about the V-8 "T"s in 1987.

Jim