Draining a fuel tank that is out of the car

captainron

Reel 'em in
I've got the body off the frame, and starting to disassemble the body panels for paint. Drained the fuel tank via the fuel rail before hand, but there is still some residual fuel in the tank. Id like to refinish the tank but i dont want to take it to get refinished with fuel in it. With all the baffles, the gas won't simply pour out of the filler neck into a jug. You guys know a smart way to get rid of the remaining fuel?

I would think if you lay it as flat as possible and use a wet/dry shop vac you should be able to get it pretty good

Siphon, rags, upside down, and when down to fumes fill it fully with water and let the runoff float off any remainder.

Let dry a day or two in the sun after drying it the same way as above.

e

Its not the fuel that ignites its the vapours. Partially filling it with water will compress the vapours into a smaller area. I would completley fill it with water and then drain it and allow it to dry out. Make sure the work area is well ventilated. The fumes are heavy than air.

Alright, completely disregard replies by RITTER in this topic ...... HAHA

tilt it on a corner i believe its the gas funnel thing on top.. and you will see all fuel in the bottom corner.. i used a hose and extra fuel pump i had lying around. connected it to a spare battery...sucked out last drop