downshift clunk?

Michael30815 said:
I have a hard clunk as well on my tranny that I had rebuilt with billet servo. Only from 3rd to 2nd gear. I wonder could this over time cause U-joints to fell. My U Joints felled after I put about 700 mines on rebuilt tranny. They were stock from factory, just wonder if the hard downshift had any thing to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

X1000 I also did this an have hard 3-2 downshifts.I hate it.

TRY-ME!!!

Pretty well documented that the superior servo eliminates the spring per their instructions thereby causing this down shift "clunk". You need the spring to absorb the "clunk".
Sonnax, ck, and stock all retain a spring. It is needed.

Yes to being documented, and right here on TB. Just spent a bunch of time reading posts after a search. Sure enough, the Superior servo isn't designed to use the cushion spring (can be modified to do so). While others show various methods of setting up the cushion and return springs. Some of which show the cushion spring not being used.

Time to pick up some trans parts and pull the servo out...

RemoveBeforeFlight

I have always used the cushion spring with the Superior servos and never had an issue.

Are you modifying the servo? I haven't used one but I am made to understand that it needs some work to get the spring in there.

the downshift clunk as refereed to will not harm the u joints and is normal.my 200 sees a lot of power and im not concerned about soft shifts but the ability of the trans to live under power.mine upshifts and downshifts real hard and I want the hit its setup that way,if I want to not feel the shifts I will jump into a caddy.also backing off the tv will soften the shift.