down pipe and external wastgate ?'s

buick1987gn

I'm a bad man.
The wastegate puck has stuck on my huston down pipe for the third and final time, Im going to buy a new down pipe and am thinking of upgrading to an external wastegate to eliminate boost creep and avoid any future hassels. Id like some opinions and what all is necessary to buy to go external or would you guys just recommend going with another internal for my set up (see sig). Thanks in advance for the input.

I love having external gates and boost control right in side the car. I never ran a houston style so I cant compare the two.

HTH: Jason

Very Reliable - No Sticking

Cannot really compare since I have not tried a Terry Houston pipe but have never had a sticking problem with my Racegate. Not sure how long, but believe it has been on my car for over seven years. If you do decide to buy a deltagate type controller, the Racegate or the deltagate offered by Cotton are both top-notch options. However, the Cotton version does have a slight edge from an appearance and design standpoint. Just note that a regulator type valve and not a bleed type valve is needed for controlling the boost from inside the car.

Richard

the simplicity of the TH is better (I think) than an external.....if you are having boost creep, I doubt it is because of the downpipe/wastegate but more a function of how you
control boost

if the flapper is sticking, get it fixed (lots cheaper than an external gate)

if you are using anything other than a direct loop (compresssor to actuator) to control boost, that is prolly your problem

I am a firm believer in the KISS system

thanks-reliability and consistency also comes to mind when i consider wastegate control.

Originally posted by buick1987gn

The wastegate puck has stuck on my huston down pipe for the

third and final time

Im going to buy a new down pipe

and am thinking of upgrading to an external wastegate

Good ideas!

Get both the ATR DP & the DeltaGate or RaceGate WG from Jack Cotton at www.cottonsperformance.com

He can ship it all assembled, ready to install, if you wish.

You'll really like it! :)